Chapter 122

"Welcome here to Budapest for qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix," I welcomed our spectators after the lunch break, "where we'll find out the grid for tomorrow."

"It could be exciting, because it's not just Hamilton's Mercedes that seems to be fast here. Max Verstappen and the Ferraris also seem to be on the hunt for pole," I added. We had to wait a moment for the first cars to take to the track.

When the time had come and the first people had done their laps, Max was at the top: "He's not sure yet either, the track is getting faster and faster." Ralf was right, but Max made it into Q2 without any effort.

"Ricciardo is not improving and is out of it. The Australian won't be happy with that," I commented on the end of the first run. To cover up the short interruption, we talked about the route and its pitfalls.

After that, it continued with Q2, which wasn't really exciting until Q3 came: "So Verstappen has pole and a track record for the time being. Can you still beat your time?" I could hardly stand it in the chair.

"Leclerc crosses the line and doesn't make it," I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, "Verstappen improves his time once again. Now comes Bottas, he also only makes it to 2nd place, Lewis is still behind his teammate and Vettel is not improving either! Max Verstappen takes his first pole of his career here in Hungary! What a qualifying and what a time from Max Verstappen!"

"Go to him and congratulate him," Ralf said. He smiled at me before I did what he said and disappeared from the cabin; I would get my things later.

Once at the bottom, Max was getting out when I arrived. I had slight tears in my eyes, which was probably due to my hormones, but in such a moment you were allowed to be sentimental.

Grinning broadly, my boyfriend came to me and hugged me tightly: "I hope you have commented on my first pole, I want to listen to that later." Shaking my head, I looked at him that he could think of something like that at that moment.

"But first, let me celebrate you, my champ. We're so proud of you," I whispered to him. After that, I had to let him go because he had to go to his interview. Actually, I wanted to go back to the dressing room to get my things for the interviews, but Christian stopped me.

"Thanks," I looked at him confused, "Seems like the news from guys got him going." I looked at him even more confused at first, but then I realized that Max hadn't kept his mouth shut.

Even if I wanted to be mad at the Dutchman, I couldn't: "Worse than washerwomen, he can't keep anything for himself. But always with pleasure, the only thing missing is the title."

"He'll come," he patted me on the back at the end. So, the conversation was over for him, and I could quickly get my things and go to my team, who were eagerly waiting for me.

"Thought you wouldn't come anymore. Leon was looking forward to taking over for you," Udo teased both me and Leon. He stuck his tongue out, which made me, and the older man laugh.

We didn't have much time for fun, because Daniel was already standing with us: "I'm sorry how it went for you." We didn't have the camera on yet, so I used the time to exchange a private word.

"Thank you, Max went all the better for that. Then at least we have something to celebrate tonight," he said sadly, but you could see that he was happy for his best friend.

"Hanna", Udo got my attention, "In 3, 2..." With that, Sandra had handed over to me and I could now interview Daniel. Even though I knew how much they hated the interviews after a bad performance, it was my job. He answered one question after the other before he went on and I had more riders in front of the microphones.