Chapter 1 ♡

Chapter 1

(Kat's POV)

As I made my way up the walkway, I heard the pounding sound of overplayed pop music. I held up my dress so the hem wouldn't touch the dirty cement and walked to the front door.

I rang the doorbell, but didn't exactly know why. With the sound of the music and the vibrating of the house, I doubted that anyone would hear me.

As I waited, I looked up at the sky and realized that it was about to rain. Although it was nighttime, the clouds told a clear story.

I tapped my foot impatiently and stood at the door, but realized that there was no point. I rolled my eyes and twisted the door handle, opening the door to a rambunctious teenage party.

There were a large amount of people, fifty to sixty, in the house. There was some people I recognized, but there was more people that I probably had never seen. But I wouldn't know because all of them had masks on.

I stepped inside and sighed. Although parties are my favorite things, I hated parties where all you saw was couples. But I took a deep breath, sucking it up and remembering that I was attending this party for my best friend.

"Kat," I heard an angry yet familiar voice call out from behind me. "That better be you."

I turned around, spotting a short blonde who was storming towards me. I put on my best smile and shrugged, letting go of my dress so that it finally touched the floor.

"Happy birthday!" I exclaimed to Carlee, my best friend.

She crossed her arms over her chest and tapped her foot. She looked like a mother who was going to scold her child for staying out too late. I expected it though.

"You are almost a whole hour late!" She shouted over the loud music. "You were supposed to be here to help me set up!"

"I'm sorry, I got caught in some important last minute things." I apologized. But knowing her, she wouldn't stay put with my answer.

"Oh really?" She said, clearly not believing me, "and by any chance, were those things more important than your best friend's birthday party?"

So she was upset, it was as clear as ice, but I knew she couldn't hold a grudge against me for too long. Especially when there was a crowd to please.

"So," I smiled weakly at her, "are we just going to stand here all day or are we going to party?"

She stared at me, then sighed. Her stern face was replaced with smooth features as she smiled.

"Your dress is perfect," she told me, completely forgetting about the whole thing. "And your mask matches exactly with it."

"Why thank you," I messily curtsied to her, making her giggle. "And you look like a queen."

She grinned, then curtsied back, clearly more collectively. Then she extended her arm, and I took it before we started walking through the crowd, examining the room.

Today was Carlee's nineteenth birthday party. She was celebrating it by throwing a masquerade ball at her house, which clearly wasn't big enough. But she didn't seem to mind, so neither did I.

Her motto was 'No Mask, No Service' and surprisingly, everyone showed up in a mask. She and I had been planning this for an entire year, and it should be perfect; for her sake.

I put on my best smile and roamed the room, trying to recognize the people. People who hadn't seen me before were examining me, trying to figure out who I was. Some people stared at me longer than needed, but I instinctively ignored them.