Chapter 9 ♡

Chapter 9

(Kat's POV)

When Zayn and I stepped out of the shop, arm in arm, the cold breeze hit me. It was literally freezing outside.

I looked to my right to see Zayn muffling in his pockets to find his key. Once he found it, he unlocked his car. I turned to where I heard the beep of the car and saw a rugged old red Camry parked to the side. When we walked to it, Zayn walked to the passenger side and held the door open for me to climb on in. Thanking him, I sat in the car.

I had to say, the car certainly looked better on the inside than it did on the outside. There were leather covers on the seat and a Christmas tree shaped air freshener hanging from the rearview mirror. I noticed a hoodie in the back seat as well as some plastic bags.

Zayn came in and started the car immediately, he reached for the heat and tried changing it. I heard him curse under his breath.

When he looked up at me, I couldn't help but notice how pink his cheeks and nose had gotten from the coldness. He looked absolutely adorable.

"Well Kat, it seems as of the heaters jammed. Again."

"What?" I said, hoping my frozen ears quite didn't hear what he had said.

"Sorry about that. It's stuck on low and that means really low. So I don't think the car will warm up soon."

I tried to smile, "that's okay. It's not that bad." And right after I said that, a tiny sneeze left my mouth.

He laughed, "that's quite a sneeze you've got." He reached behind the seat and grabbed the sweatshirt I spotted earlier. "Here, wear this."

I looked at it, then I took a peek of myself. I was wearing jeans, a sweater, and some boots. Then I took note of Zayn's attire. He was wearing a t-shirt and some jeans. So clearly, he needed it more than me.

"No thanks," I said back, "I'm fine."

"Well," he replied, "we aren't going anywhere until you wear it."

I giggled at him, "you need it more than me Zayn. I'm fine, I'm wearing a sweater."

He set the sweatshirt on my lap, "I don't wear sweatshirts."

I raised my eyebrows, "then why is it in your car?"

He smirked at me, "it came with the car. Now hurry, you don't want to miss your curfew."

We stayed silent until it got too cold for me to stay put any longer. "Fine," I said slipping it over my head, "happy?"

"Most certainly," he started the car once again and started driving. I noticed how careful he was while driving, stopping at stoplights, staying on the limit, not what I would expect from him.

We stopped at a stoplight when I spotted a pack of cigarettes on the divider. Zayn saw me eyeing them and he immediately tried covering them up. Before he could completely cover them I took a hold of his hand with my left hand and grabbed the pack of cigars with my right.

"No, Kat, those are for my friend."

I laughed at him, "yeah right Zayn. I've played that before, it isn't gonna work on me." I stuck the pack in my pocket, "you aren't going to get those back." I teased.

"Oh come on!" He whined, "Alright, next time remind me to hide all my cigarettes before you come."

The stoplight turned green and he tried to put his hand back on the wheel, but I realized I still had a hold of it.

"You could let go," he smirked, "if you want."

I rolled my eyes as I tried to loosen my grip. Now I had realized that he was holding in to my hand. I looked up at him to see his eyes shining under the dim light.