Chapter 58 ♡

Chapter 58

(Zayn's POV)

It was 3:35am, Kat was asleep, laying in my arms, but I was wide awake.

For these past couple of nights, I haven't been getting the sleep I was supposed to. Every time I decided to shut my eyes and rest for a while, I would always replay the image of Kat getting hit by that car in front of my eyes, and I was unable to do anything about it.

That sight came into my head every time I shut my eyes. It terrified me, to say the least. I hated the fact that I couldn't rescue her in time. The image of her getting hit by that car was nonstop.

I sucked in a breath, holding her closer. I looked down and examined her while she slept. Often, I would find myself tracing my fingers over her face as she slept, wondering how someone like her could even be real in this world. I reminded myself of how lucky I was to have her, and no matter what she said, I was never leaving her side.

I leaned down and couldn't help myself as I placed a soft kiss on her lips briefly. She didn't react, but she didn't have to for her to send a tingling sensation through my body. Just knowing that she was mine made me so happy.

I stared at her, examining how perfect she was. A piece of her dark hair had fallen over her eye, but I reached up and pulled it back, wanting to see her perfectly. Her dark brown eyes had fluttered shut, her long and soft eyelashes resting above her cheekbones. I traced her smooth pink lips with my finger, loving the feeling of them. She had a beautiful face, along with the rest of her. Everything about her was so mind blowing, I wondered how she ever came into my life.

She must've felt me tracing her lips because I saw as her eyelids slowly opened, revealing her chocolate brown eyes. Her soft pink lips curled up into a lazy smile, as if she was happy to see me even if I was with her before she shut her eyes. As a reassurance that I was there.

"What's wrong baby?" She croaked in her sleepy voice.

Now I smiled. Her sleepy voice was one of the hottest and cutest things I've ever heard. Damn, this girl made me feel things I had never felt before.

"Nothing," I replied, running my finger across her jaw.

She moved up, pressing her forehead to mine, looking in my eyes. "Are you sure?"

I still got goosebumps when she came this close to me, not that I didn't like it. I loved it. I loved her. Everything about her.

"Just couldn't sleep," I said.

Now she moved her hands, connecting them to mine. I bit my lip, feeling her chest against mine as she let her minty breaths scent my skin.

"Why couldn't you sleep?" She whispered, her sleepy voice still there.

"We'll talk tomorrow, you go to sleep," I said, noticing her eyes drooping.

"No," she objected. "I won't be able to sleep knowing that you can't. Please tell me the problem. I want to fix it. And besides, I've heard that if you talk about your nightmares, they don't return."

I smiled at her adorableness. Man, how did I ever end up with someone like her? I wrapped my arms around her, every part of our bodies touching. She wrapped her legs around mine, but she didn't bury her face into my chest like she normally did.

I could tell she wanted to know.

I cleared my throat, "ever since that day...the day of your accident, I haven't been getting my sleep."

She looked at me confusedly, her eyes saying "I'm here now, so why be sad?" But I had to be sad, if it wasn't for me, she probably wouldn't have gotten hit. If I moved fast enough, I could've saved her. Her dad was right, of course it was all my fault.

"I keep seeing the moment when the car smashed into you and you-" I couldn't continue. I shouldn't have to. It brought me too much pain.

I pulled her closer, afraid of losing her again. She leaned up, brushing her lips against mine for a long and gentle kiss. She might have not known, but her kisses were my remedy. When she kissed me, it fixed me, slowly and carefully putting me back together.

When she pulled back, she said, "look at me. I'm here." She brought my hand to her face as she rested it on her cheek and she said, "I'm real. I'm right here, in your arms. Nothing happened to me, and nothing was your fault."

I wanted to object to her, telling her the many reasons why this was my fault. But as I looked at her, so sure of her fixing me, I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I couldn't even move, her eyes paralyzed me.

"Please baby," she whispered. "I know you don't believe me when I tell you this, but I want you to know that nothing that happened was your fault. It was all dad's.

"Remember before the accident, you saved me? You saved me from those people who tried to hurt me. Remember? And remember when we went back to your place and I asked you why, out of all people, you loved me? You answered by telling me that you loved things about me that I didn't even know about myself. At that moment Zayn, I realized that even if you had a gun pressed to my head, I would be safe. If I am with you, anywhere is safe."

I felt her heartbeat against mine, not even caring if air was coming from my lungs or not. Her heartbeat, her eyes, her voice, her laugh, her everything was much more important than mine. If there was any way that I could make her smile for the rest of her life, I would. She meant more to me that the world did.

She was my world.

She leaned in, and this time, gave me a heavy and passionate kiss. Her lips felt amazing against mine, her hand traveling up my neck. I embraced her, noticing that she had woken up just a bit to make sure that I was okay.

"But I was supposed to save you," I whispered against her lips as we slowly pulled away.

She smiled. God, that smile. "You did save me, Zayn. You are saving me."

"What? No."

"Yes Zayn, you are my superman."

"No. I'm not saving you, I'm not superman babe. I'm supposed to be." I didn't understand how she possibly thought I was saving her. Our every moment together risked the chances of her getting hit by her father. I was in no way a 'superman'.

She giggled tiredly, "Zayn, you may not know how much you're saving me. I would've given up a long time ago if you hadn't come-"

"Don't say that," I hushed her. "Please don't say that darling. Please don't give up on yourself."

She bit her lip, bringing her hand up to trace my jaw. She didn't respond.

"Sweetheart," I said, bringing my fingers up to lift her chin. "Promise me that you will never give up on yourself."

She took a breath, "Zayn I-"

"Promise me that even if I leave, you will never ever give up on yourself," I said, cutting her off.

She looked into my eyes, probably seeing my desperation. I never wanted her to let herself go because of anything. I was not going to let anything happen to her. If destruction was in her surroundings, I would protect her so that she would be unaware of any negativity. I would protect her from the world, I would protect her from the cruelty of living.

But the only thing I couldn't protect her from was herself.

So I needed her to promise me that she would keep herself safe, even if something happened to us.

"Okay," she breathed. "I promise."

----------

vote, COMMENT, and share. Ily.