Chapter 28 ♡

Chapter 28

(Zayn's POV)

It was another regular day at work, not too busy, not too packed. I had just finished playing my song on the piano that was placed directly in the center of the restaurant, and looked around. I noticed how there were barely two tables who were clapping, or at least acknowledging the fact that someone was actually sitting here and wasting there time on trying to entertain them.

But instead of saying anything, I just smiled at the people who actually cared enough to applaud. Who was I one to complain anyways? I knew I wasn't expecting the entire restaurant to start clapping applauding but a bit of acknowledgment wouldn't hurt anybody.

But as long as I was there, I was getting paid. That is all that mattered.

Now, I was trying to think of another sing that I could play, something that would be likely to grab someone's attention. You know, other than those who felt sorry for me. As I was doing so, there was a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see a tall man, he looked as if he was dressed for some special occasion.

"Do you take requests?" He asked me.

"Yes, sir."

His face lit up, but a look of nervousness was still visable. "Great, would you mind singing love somebody?"

"By Maroon 5?" I asked.

He nodded, "if you can." I watched as he shook his head, "you don't have to if you can't, it's just my girlfriend's favorite song, and I'm planning on proposing to her. So I just wanted to, you know, surprise her."

Something in me clicked, and I realized that even if I couldn't do this, I had to. "Don't worry about it," I said, "I've got you covered."

A smile plastered on his face, "great, thanks man!" He gave me a quick pat on the back before walking over to his table.

Meanwhile, I had to learn how to learn to make a pop song acoustic in less than five minutes. Great. I sat on the bench, recalling the lines to the song, and I grew unsure.

But when the guy looked back at me, holding up his thumb, I knew letting him down wasn't an option.

I can do this, I thought, I can.

Soon, when the guy's girlfriend walked in, I knew it was now or never. He looked back at me, giving me a reassuring smile before hugging her.

I began strumming a familiar beat, "I know your inside you're feeling so hollow."

The girl turned around, and I got a couple of more glances from people around me.

"And it's a hard deal for you to swallow." After stunning a few more lines, I realized that this wasn't so hard.

The guy got on his knees, the girl not taking notice at first, but when she turned and saw him, I was certain that she began to cry.

"But if I fall for you," I summed singing a bit more quietly while watching the scene.

"Beatrice," the guy said, "we've been together for as long as I remember. Through thick and thin, we've supported each other, and we're not stopping now."

He continued giving a short speech, and I realized the whole restaurant was starting at the scene. Some even awing along.

"Will you marry me?" He finally asked.

She nodded rapidly, obviously excited. He slipped the ring on her finger, then got up and kissed her without a second to think.

I continued to sing, but my mind was somewhere else. I had just witnessed someones life changing. To think that I was the last person the guy talked to before becoming engaged was breathtaking. I didn't even know his name, but I was at such a special moment in his life. He might forget me, but I knew I wouldn't forget this.