Chapter 18 ♡

Chapter 18

(Kat's POV)

"Goodnight Kat," Zayn said as we were stopped in front of my house as he said goodbye to me. My hand was still placed on top of his. I leaned into him and pressed my lips to his gently. He kissed me back, hard. And I was afraid that he thought this was the last time we saw each other.

We pulled apart but he kissed my cheek again when I said, "goodnight, Zayn."

He watched as I walked inside my house, and I was suddenly aware that dad hadn't went to the grocery market.

And that our goodbye wasn't long enough.

"Hi Katrina," he used my full name when I walked through the door. I tried my hardest to avoid eye contact with him.

I looked up at him briefly, "hey dad."

Cora was there, on the couch, watching a rerun of some modeling show. But she didn't seem to take noticefirst.

"Have a seat," dad said calmly, then my heart started racing.

Oh no.

"Now," dad said once we both had sat down, "Zayn is a very nice boy."

I smiled, good news.

"But, he's only going to be like that for a while. It's only been a couple of days since you guys have been together, and in the beginning, they're all charming."

I frowned now, bad news.

"And I don't think that he's right for you."

"What?" I flinched, "no dad. You don't even know him."

"Exactly," he spoke as if he was talking to a client, "I barely know him and I can tell he's trouble. Isn't that a bad sign?"

"Dad," I whined, "come on. You can't just say that."

"Oh? And why is that?"

"Because," I spoke to him as I heard Cora switch the TV off, "he's not what you think he is."

"Really?" He said, walking over to the window and pulling the curtain to reveal Zayn smoking a cigarette behind his car.

Bad timing, I thought.

"He's exactly what I think he is," he replied, shutting the curtains harshly then glaring at me.

"No dad," I spoke softly but demandingly, "I'm not going to leave him."

"Yes you are," he took a step closer to me as Cora hurriedly got up off the couch and made her way over to us.

I ran a hand through my hair stressfully, "you can't just pick and choose the people who get to stay in my life, Dad. I can make decisions on my own."

He chuckled coldly, "you understand that I am your father. And you have no right to talk to me that way."

"I'm not trying to say anything dad!" I said louder than I should've, "just listen to me okay? I'm not a stupid teenager anymore, I know how to handle this stuff."

"No you don't!" He yelled louder than me, "you're just as stupid as you were before. And don't think I don't know all the shit you've gone through. Don't make me remind you!"

I flinched at his words, but I still didn't back down, "dad, I was young and stupid, get over it."

"Oh for God's sake Kat. It happened only 2 years ago!"

We stayed silent, watching each other harshly, but then I said, "I'm not going to leave Zayn dad, and that's final."

Now, his cold hand came in contact with my left cheek as he slapped me hard across the face. Water stung my eyes but I didn't cry in front of him. I would look weak. And I'm not going to let that happen.

"Now," dad said as Cora grabbed his arm and glared at him then looked at me apologetically, "go say goodbye to him. You have ten minutes."

I didn't move, instead just staring back at him. Then he said, "nine minutes left."

And that's when I realized, he had won once again. And there was nothing I could do or say that would change his mind.

I stormed out the door until I reached Zayn who was about ready to go inside his flat after stomping his cigarette into the ground.

"Zayn," I called out, he turned around to face me.

"Kat," he walked over to me, "what happened? Is everything alright?"

I shook my head, unable to say anything as the tears poured out of my eyes.

"Zayn," I whispered, "dad said we can't be together anymore."

"What?" He stood close to me, "why?"

"I don't know, Zayn. I thought it was going well but I guess not." When I said that, I realized that my voice was shaking.

I was still crying, so he didn't say anything, instead he just hugged me, tight.

"He didn't hurt you, did he?" He whispered into my hair.

"Yes," I barely spoke, hoping if I didn't say it loudly, it would end up being a lie.

He just hugged me tighter, "it's okay sweetheart," he whispered over and over again in my ear, "it's going to be okay."

"Zayn," I finally said, "I have to go. He's watching us."

We pulled away as I turned and saw dad staring at us from the window. And it was as if looking at him, made me want to prove him wrong even more.

I leaned up and kissed Zayn's cheek, whispering, "this isn't goodbye."

"What do you mean?" He said back.

I spoke quietly, as if I spoke any louder, our secret would be blown, "I'm not going to leave you, even if he forces me to."

"But Kat, wouldn't he-"

"Shh," I whispered, "it's our little secret."

He smirked at me, then bent down and kissed me quickly, making sure dad wouldn't see. Then said, "alright. It's our little secret."