Chapter 42 ♡

Chapter 42

(Zayn's POV)

I was sitting on a chair at the waiting area of the hospital. My head was in between my hands, staring down at my shoes, tears falling from my eyes, my heart on the verge of giving out. I mentally cursed myself out, feeding my mind with "what ifs" while pain boiled inside of me.

It had been thirty minutes since Kat's father and I had been at the hospital. He hasn't said anything to me yet, instead I felt him watching me as my frustration and impatience took over me. He was probably waiting for me to get up and leave but that wasn't going to happen.

Not until Kat was one hundred percent better.

"Mr. Desire, we're here, is Kat okay?" I heard Carlee say.

I didn't bother looking up to see who it was. I felt like if I tried, I wouldn't be able to through the tears drowning my eyes.

"The doctors are checking her now," Mark said.

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry. Everything's going to be okay," Cora said, trying to reassure him.

"When will be able to go see her?" Jack's voice rang in my head.

"I'm not sure yet, they said they would let us know," Mark replied.

I sat there alone as I heard them talk amongst one another. Jack asked Mark what happened so he started telling the story.

"I found out that Kat still hadn't left this asshole once I came to Carlee's house and asked if she knew where Kat was but she said she didn't. I looked around everywhere for her but just as I was about to go home, I noticed that Zayn had Kat's backpack attached to his motorcycle. So I found out where she was, busted them, and as we were walking across the street to get to our house, Kat asked to say goodbye to Zayn."

I still hasn't looked up but I felt eyes burning into my skin as he continued. "So because of this douche, she didn't cross the road at the right time, and because of him, she wasn't able to make it all the way before a car hit her side."

A quiet sob escaped my parted lips. I knew it was all my fault, I knew it.

Overwhelming thoughts filled my head so I got up and walked away from them. I wasn't going to leave but I needed to get away from them. I found my way to a nearby restroom and I walked in, standing in front of the sink.

I turned on the cold water and began to splash my face with it. Once I turned off the faucet, I looked up at the mirror in front of me.

I came face to face with a broken me. Cold water dripped down my face as my eyes were red and swollen from all the tears that had fallen from my eyes. The cuts and bruises on my face still tingled from Kat's touch, but they were the only things reminding me to keep holding on.

"I told you not to hurt her," I heard a voice say. Soon, from the mirror, I saw Jack standing behind me with his arms crossed over his chest.

I turned to face him, sighing, but I didn't reply.

He walked towards me, "you hurt her worse than anyone ever has Malik, and I'm not letting you get away with it."

I stayed silent, knowing that there was no use in replying to him. If he wanted to hurt me, I was already too numb to feel it.

"But," he continued, "if you leave now, I'll tell Kat that you never really loved her and-"

"Don't you dare."

My words shut him up immediately, but then he said, "you're not understanding that this isn't an option for you."

"Fuck off." I shoved past him, not wanting to face another person that would doubt my love for Kat. I had enough of that for today.