Chapter 38 ♡

Chapter 38

(Kat's POV)

"You what?" Cora shouted, "when did this happen?!"

"Last week." I had just told Cora that I had quit, and she wasn't taking it too well.

"Why?!" She asked.

"I didn't like the things they were making me do," I finally said the truth, "I wasn't even confident enough."

Cora ran a hand through her hair stressfully, "you learn to get confident, that's the thing!"

I sighed, sinking back into the couch while watching Cora walk back and forth in front of me.

"How many shoots did you have left this year?"

I shrugged, "about four."

She gasped, "Gusto must be furious!"

My mind went back to last week when I had told Gusto I was quitting.

"What?!" He had said, "you can't just quit on me. I have a lot depending on you!"

"No. You don't have a lot depending on me, you just need a girl who would risk her health just so she can be photoshopped to death. Everything here is unreal." I replied with ease, feeling a weight get lifted off my chest as I said this.

He pointed to me, "shut the hell up. You can't just come in to my office, risk everything, then say you leave because this is all suddenly fake to you."

"It was always fake."

He grew furious, clenching his jaw. He move his finger to point at the door as he said, "get out of my office."

And that's what I did. There isn't one thing I regret about saying in there. But I forgot about everyone else that I had to face, including Cora.

Now, dad walked out of his room, "what's all the ruckus about?"

I got up off the couch and walked towards him. He was fiddling with his tie, not knowing exactly how to tie it. Like always.

"Your daughter just quit her job without consulting me," Cora spoke bitterly.

Dad looked down at me, but I continued fixing his tie, not making eye contact with him.

"Why did you quit?"

"I was getting unhealthy," I replied.

"That's shit!" Cora shouted, "everyone thinks their unhealthy at first, but now they're amazing models!"

"I didn't want to be a model anyways," I finished tying up dad's tie.

"Thank you sweetheart," dad murmured to me. I smiled then turned back around to face Cora.

"Do you understand that you are now my stepdaughter, and since I've been in the industry, I'm struggled to make a name for myself. Now, all you have to do is live up to it, but you can't even do that! You're just ruining my name Kat!" Cora shouted at me.

Dad immediately replied, "she wasn't trying to make your name in the first place, she was doing it for herself. And if she wants to quit, she can quit. This has nothing to do with 'your name'."

Cora was surprised by dad's sudden change in tone, but I wasn't. Dad always got like this when someone took it too far with me. Even his own wife.

"Fine," Cora sighed, picking up her purse, "I'm going shopping for a while, I'll be back whenever." She walked outside the room. murmuring things angrily under her breath.

Dad walked to a chair, "so you quit, huh?"

"Yeah," I sat across from him, "I didn't like it."

"It's not meant for everyone," he agreed, "and I'm glad you did. You were getting really thin but Cora told me not to mention it to you, claiming that it war part of the 'process'."