Chapter 98 ♡

Chapter 98

(Zayn's POV)

"Zayn," I heard Mark's voice call out my name, "can I speak to you for a minute?"

My hopes lifted up. This was my moment. I was going to apologize to Mark for anything that I have ever done to offend him and ask for his daughter's hand in marriage. If all goes well, he'll say yes.

And it might just be the long car ride, but I think that things are starting to look up for us at this point.

I walked confidently towards Mark until Kat jumped in front of me, stopping me. She faced her father and held me back.

"No," she fought, fear in her voice, "you can't."

Mark raised an eyebrow at her and the entire room was staring at the scene. I gently grabbed Kat's arm, and she turned to face me.

"Zayn you can't, he'll hurt you," she pleaded.

I rested my hand on the side of her face and leaned down, placing a firm kiss on her forehead. The way she cared about me made me so happy, and all I wanted to do was go back home with her in my arms and hold her. But work had to be done, and risks had to be taken.

"I'll be fine darling," I reassured her, "I promise."

She was shaking her head rapidly, fear flooding her features. It killed me as I walked around her and towards the kitchen. I felt her panicking behind me, but I didn't turn around because I knew if I did, I would regret everything.

But I was doing this for her and her only.

I stared at Mark who had his eyes fixed on me. I walked a bit taller, stepping into the kitchen. I took a breath after I heard him shut the door and walk in front of me, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Hello, Zayn," he said strongly.

I nodded at him, "hello Mark."

He examined me, and I was very grateful that I wore a long sleeved shirt so my tattoos were covered. The last thing I wanted was to put Kat and I's future at stake because of a couple of tattoos.

Once he regained eye contact with me, he said, "I don't believe I ever gave you the permission to run away with my daughter."

I wasn't scared of him, I wasn't even threatened. All I wanted to do was yell at him and beat him for taking Kat away from me over and over again. But I needed to gain his respect in order to gain Kat's hand in marriage. If patience was all it took, so be it.

"Everything got a bit overwhelming here in Bradford," I replied truthfully, "and we weren't quite sure what to do."

He nodded. "As much as I dislike you, Zayn, I'm very impressed with how you handled everything with Kat. You've become a successful man."

"Thank you, Mark."

"And I'm also glad that you called me and told me where you guys were," he added, "is this your way of leaving Kat?"

I furrowed my eyebrows at him, my jaw tightening. "Mark, I'm not leaving her."

"Then why would you tell me where you were?" He asked, his tone getting sharp.

I decided that this wasn't the best time to ask his permission to marry Kat. Especially when he was getting a bit flustered. In this situation, timing was everything, and I needed to get it precise in order for things to go smoothly.

"She needs her family," I said to him, "even if she doesn't know it."

He glared at me, as if I had said something delusional. I watched as he stood taller. "Zayn, you disgust me and you're no good for my daughter. Why won't you just leave?"