Chapter 96 ♡

Chapter 96

(Zayn's POV)

"Give me five minutes," Kat spoke while leaning towards the mirror in the bathroom, eyeliner in hand.

"Take all the time you need babe," I said to her. "I'm right outside."

I walked out of the restroom, leaving her inside. My heart was beating out of my chest as I made my way over to the side drawer where I had put the ring. I looked around and made sure that she wasn't looking before opening the drawer and taking it out, quickly putting the velvet box in my pocket.

I shut the drawer quickly and tried to control my spinning mind.

This was it.

I was taking Kat out for dinner at one of the best restaurants in town, and it was going to be perfect. I was wearing her favorite cologne, I had finally built up my nerves after two weeks, and I was going to ask her to marry me tonight.

She didn't understand why I had randomly brought up dinner with her but she didn't debate too much. She quickly grew excited and told me she knew exactly what to wear. Always a good sign.

I paced the room nervously, my mind wandering with "what if's". But if one thing was for sure, I knew she would say yes. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her and she wanted the same with me, now all we needed was a ring. And not something like the promise rings that we got back in Christmas.

A real ring.

I ended up standing face to face with myself while looking in the mirror. I examined myself. I was wearing a black button down shirt that was rolled up to my elbows, just how she liked it. The ring was in my pocket, and I was so nervous. I didn't know why, I just was.

I took a deep breath and stared directly into my eyes through the mirror.

"Listen up Malik," I said to myself quietly, "tonight is the night. Tonight, you're going to make Kat yours. You can do this."

I nodded at myself, then shook myself off. I stood tall, my heart rate quickening.

"Katrina Desire," I practiced, "will you marry me?"

No. It's too simple.

"Katrina, I love you. And I always will. Will you do me the honor and spend the rest of your life with me?"

Getting better, but not yet.

"Katrina, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Would you want to too?"

Ugh. No. That was worse.

"Katrina, will yo-"

"Zayn?" I heard Kat's voice call out from the bathroom.

I jerked into reality and turned around, "yes babe?"

"Can you come here and zip up my dress?" She asked.

Once I walked to the bathroom, I saw her struggling to reach the zipper. I went near her and placed my hands on her back, zipping up her dress. She smiled then turned around to face me.

"Thank you sweetheart," she spoke, reaching up and brushing her lips to mine.

"You're welcome," I tried my hardest not to show how nervous I was as I smiled back. "You ready to go?"

She nodded, "yup."

I took her hand and she grabbed her purse from behind her. We walked out of the bathroom and to the living room, both of us slipping on our shoes.

I grabbed her arm once we both stood at the door and she tried to balance herself in her heels. I watched as she stood tall and intertwined her fingers into mine.