Chapter 99 ♡

Chapter 99

(Kat's POV)

I looked at myself in the mirror, running my fingers over the bruises on my face. As I pressed down on the purple area on my skin, I winced. This was definitely the worst that Dad has ever hit me.

I sighed, staring at myself. My eyes had gotten lifeless, my skin pale. My black hair was now resting a bit beneath my shoulders since I had got it cut recently, but I hadn't washed it since we've been here because I was too afraid of leaving Zayn alone. My lips were dry and pale because of the lack of kisses Zayn and I had exchanged in the past couple of days. My body was still weak and I was living like a prisoner. I just wanted to go back home.

We had been in Bradford for a total of three days now, living under Dad's roof. Neither Zayn nor I had spoken to dad these past couple of days. Cora had been the only person to have shown us hospitality since Dad avoided all contact with us. To be honest, I didn't even know why we were still here. I wanted nothing more than to go home, but Zayn and I had decided that we were staying here for seven days. No matter what.

My shoulders fell as I took a step away from the mirror, taking a deep breath. I turned around when I heard Zayn moving in bed, signaling that he might have woken up.

I walked towards the bed, watching as his eyes fluttered open. He watched me walk towards him, his mouth turning up into a weak smile.

"Good morning," he croaked, his morning voice overpowering his words.

"Good morning," I replied, standing besides the bed.

He sat up, placing the pillow against the headboard. He took my hand and pulled me down besides him, rubbing his eyes with his other hand.

"How long have you been awake?" He asked quietly.

I shrugged, "I couldn't sleep."

His face fell, his tired features turning worrisome. I looked down and began to pick at my chipped nail polish, not wanting to have this conversation for the third night in a row.

"Kat," he breathed, taking my hands in his. I looked up at him again, biting my lip.

"I'm sorry for doing this to you darling," he whispered. "I wish I never came here."

I shook my head, "it's okay Zayn. When we go back home, everything will be fine."

He pursed his lips, staring at me. The truth was, we both know that everything would not be fine. And Zayn blamed it on himself.

I knew he felt bad, and I knew I had blamed it on him, but I didn't want him to beat himself up for it. This was all my fault as well. I didn't exactly know how, but it was.

Every moment Zayn and I spent together, he apologized to me. I understood why he was apologizing, but I just wished that he didn't have to. I wish we could just go back to Cambridge and pretend this had never happened.

"Is Mark home?" He asked me quietly. I couldn't help but notice the way his tone got sharp when he spoke dad's name. But I didn't blame him.

"No. Neither is Cora."

He nodded, "do you want to go eat breakfast downstairs?"

I shook my head, "I think I'm going to go shower."

"Okay," he spoke, "I'll just wait till you get out so we can eat. Alright?"

"Okay," I spoke quietly, standing up off the bed. He let go of my hands and shut his eyes, resting his head against the headboard.

I turned around and was about to walk away when I realized that even though nobody but Zayn and I were home, I didn't want to leave him alone. Dad could come home at any moment and I didn't want to risk anything.