Chapter 59 ♡

Chapter 59

(Kat's POV)

"Where did Carlee say she was going to meet us?" Zayn yelled over the loud, booming music of the club.

I pulled out my phone and texted her, knowing that there was no way she could've heard me over this loud music.

It was New Year's Eve and Carlee made a plan for all of us to meet at the bar. Jack wasn't able to come because of family, but Zayn and I managed to make it after much debate.

Zayn pulled me close to him, shielding me from the drunken dancing bodies around us. His jaw was tightened, his gaze hard as he looked out for me, making sure nobody was going to mess with me. He always got like this when we went to some party or something. But I couldn't do anything about it.

"She's getting drinks at the bar," I said after reading her message.

Zayn nodded and guided me through the people. Many people were so drunk and careless, that they didn't even notice the fact that the music was off for some parking announcement. Instead, they continued dancing.

Once we reached the bar, I realized that one of those people were Carlee. She was dancing uncontrollably after the music went back on, her legs wobbling as she tried to remain balanced. Drew was standing beside her with her phone in his hand. I realized that he was the one texting us the directions for Carlee was too drunk to even stand on her own two feet.

"Hey guys," Drew said as we started to walk over to him. "Sorry for not texting back immediately, she's kind of drunk."

I smiled, "it's fine."

Our attention was stolen by Carlee who squealed as she collapsed on the ground. She cursed to herself and reached for her shoes. "God Dammit! How hard is it for a fucking heel to be stable enough to walk on!" She yelled at her bright red pumps as she threw them off.

I giggled at her drunken state as I ran to collect her heels, knowing they were her favorite. Drew went to Carlee and helped her up. "It's okay baby," he said. "You're fine."

He sat her down on the stool as I handed him back her shoes. We watched as he slipped them on her foot as if she were Cinderella, but she was already captivated by the music.

After seeing this sight, I was glad that Carlee found someone like Drew. Knowing her reputation with guys, she never found the right one. All of them either wanted to get in her pants or just wanted some arm candy. But ever since Drew came, and he actually takes care of her, I'm glad that nobody else worked out for her. He was just what someone like her needed.

Once she slipped on her shoes, she was up and dancing again. Drew followed her as she traveled through the people, yelling us a quick, "we'll be right back!"

I laughed as Zayn took my hand, guiding me to an empty seat. I noticed that he had a strained look on his face, but I didn't know why. I grabbed his hand tightly, but he didn't look up at me. Instead, he took my hand in his own and began to trace the lines on my palm, causing me to melt. Even the slightest touch by him made me insane.

"Zayn, what's wrong?" I asked him, wanting for him to look up at me.

He shrugged, not budging. "It's just that your dad's coming home soon."

I brought my fingers to his chin, tilting his head up. "It's okay babe, nothing's different."

"Yeah," he sighed. "But what if we get caught, and he hits you again?"

We don't have to get caught for him to hit me, I thought. But to Zayn I said, "we won't get caught. Everything's going to be fine."

He didn't seem convinced, but he wasn't going to argue either. We were interrupted by the bartender who asked us if we wanted some drinks, and we did. The bartender handed over our drinks, and we both brought them up to our lips. I took a sip, but putting it down after just one. I watched as Zayn began chugging the bottle.