Chapter 16 ♡

Chapter 16

(Kat's POV)

"Hello sweetheart," Dad said while walking into the house with Cora after their weekend off. He kissed my head quickly then set down his bag on the table.

Cora walked in and gave me a hug, "congrats on your job Kat!"

I smiled at her, wishing I could thank her but unable to.

I woke up this morning with a runny nose and a sore throat. Turns out, wearing a sun dress and eating ice cream during the winter is not such a good thing. It also turns out that Zayn was, in fact, right.

I hadn't told him yet, though. I'm kind of hoping that it'll go away before I have the chance to talk to him.

"What a weekend," dad said, falling back onto the couch exhaustedly.

Cora smiled and walked towards the coffee machine and poured in a bag to start broiling. "We did get a lot done."

I opened my mouth to say something but Cora stopped me, "no, no, no. You can't talk until it gets 100 percent better, or else it'll only get worse."

I sighed, she was right and I was silenced.
Dad got up off the couch and walked over to me, sitting down on the bench in front of me. "So," he started, "Cora has been telling me about this boy that you've been seeing. Is there something that you aren't telling me?"

I shot a look at Cora and all she did was smile apologetically. I turned back and shrugged at him, acting like I had no clue what he was talking about.

"It's kind of too late for that," he added, "Caroline called yesterday. She told me that you and some boy had shown up at her restaurant for an interview."

My eyes widened as I felt my stomach sink, shit. I couldn't say anything otherwise I would've came up with an excuse.

Cora handed me medicine and a cup of coffee. Then she handed one to dad. "Okay," she said to me, "eat the medicine and drink the coffee, and see if you can talk a little."

I nodded and followed her instructions. After I drank the coffee I tried to speak but only a peep of noise came out. Good enough for me.

"Dad, he's just a friend." I managed to say, coughing a bit at the end.

Dad raised an eyebrow, "not from what Caroline told me."

"What did she"-I coughed-"what did she tell you?"

"She told me that you two were holding hands and he hugged you when he found out that he got the job."

Oh shit. This is not good.

I looked at Cora who seemed amused herself while wondering what I would say next.

"Look," dad said, "I'm not saying that you can't date him or whatever. In fact, Caroline said he was a sweet boy." He smiled comfortingly, "it's just that Cora has met him and so has Caroline. So I just want to meet the boy that my daughter has been spending her time with."

I nodded at him, listening to each of his words carefully. But the truth was, I was scared. Why was I scared? Because dad does not approve of a lot of the guys that I've dated. And I didn't think that Zayn's attitude or anything was a problem, its just that my dad tends to judge a book by it's cover. And Zayn, well, his tattoo's and smoking habits and motorcycle and all that is a great thing for me, but a bad thing for dad. So, my dad would meet Zayn, most likely judge him, wait for him to leave, then tell me all his flaws and basically tell me that I couldn't see him again.

And dad always seems to get the last word, even if you tried to overrule him, he'd come back and win.

So I didn't over think it, I picked up my coffee and said, "no." Simply and softly, taking a sip of it as I did so.