Chapter 89 ♡

Chapter 89:

(Kat's POV)

"Hi Carlee," I smiled into the phone.

"Kat," she sighed, "hey. What's up?"

I looked at Zayn who was driving, "nothing, we just came back from a party and we're on our way home."

"Party?" She said excitedly, "you're going to parties?"

"They aren't exactly parties. They're like huge dinners with rich people."

"Rich people?"

"I have this friend who I work with-"

"Come back," she blurted out of nowhere.

I was taken aback by how randomly she brought this up and how easily she said it. "What?"

"Come back," she repeated, "Bradford isn't the same without you."

I looked at Zayn, who looked at me and nodded, asking me what was wrong. I frowned, taking his hand in mine and shutting my eyes.

"I'm sorry but I can't," I said, remembering the reason why I was doing this all in the first place.

She took a deep breath, "I broke up with Drew and I really need someone."

My heart shattered. "Carlee, what?! I'm right here, talk to me."

"You're not right here," she argued, "you're all the way in Cambridge with Zayn. You aren't here with me. I have to go alone to Flloyd's on Wednesday's and I have to keep this secret from everyone who loves and cares about you."

"Carlee, I-"

"Jack is torn. Cora is pregnant and she's worried sick. Your mom keeps calling your dad and crying, telling him that it was all his fault. And worst of all," she breathed, "your dad isn't even half the man he was before. He looks like he hasn't slept in ages. He barely eats. He doesn't go to work. And he always looks like he's been crying."

I shut my eyes, a tear falling down my cheek. "I'm sorry."

"Are you, Kat?" She asked, "are you really sorry of leaving your whole life behind just to be with some stupid boy?"

My eyes shot open, my blood boiling. "What?"

"Was he really worth it?" She asked angrily, "was he worth all of this?"

I clenched my jaw, curling my hand around Zayn's tightly. "He is worth it, Carlee. I love him."

Zayn looked at me, suddenly realizing the topic was about him.

"You don't love him," she said, "you're too young to have fallen in love."

"Carlee, I'm twenty," I said to her. "Look, I get it that you and Drew broke up, but that gives you no right to tell me what is going on in my relationship."

She laughed coldly, "use it against me Kat, I don't care. But just so you know, I'm not telling you what's going on in your relationship; I'm telling you what's going on everywhere else. Because it seems like your stupid relationship is the only thing you're ever worried about."

I rolled my eyes, "that's all I need to worry about. I left everything else behind for a reason."

"Of course," she said. "And just like always, everything's running back right after you."

"What does that mean?"

"I gotta go," she spoke, "the real world needs me." Then, she hung up.

I huffed and put down the phone, clenching my jaw so hard that I was afraid my teeth were going to break.