Chapter 62 ♡

Chapter 62

(Kat's POV)

"Are you okay?" Jack asked as he sat beside me on the couch of my living room.

I nodded, not making eye contact with him as I switched the channel on the TV in front of me. I knew that if he saw my eyes, he would've realized something was very wrong.

"Kat," he spoke in a low voice. "Look at me."

I didn't turn, instead forcing a smile on my lips. "What do you want to watch?" I asked him, changing the subject.

He reached over and grabbed the TV remote from my hand and shut off the TV. "Look at me Kat."

I took a deep breath and turned my head to face him. I felt him examine me, his eyes filled with worry.

"What's wrong?" He asked me.

I shrugged and smiled, "what do you mean?"

"Nine years," he said. "I've been friends with you for nine fucking years. I think I can tell when something is wrong with you."

That's it. I broke down. Tears fell from my eyes right after he said that. I felt him wrap and arm around me, pulling me close and running a hand through my hair. "Shh, it's okay," he whispered in my ear.

This was a gesture that I so clearly knew by now. Jack always held me like this when I was sad. Like when my parents split up, he did this. When my goldfish died, he did this. When my prom date ditched me, he did this. When I told him what Eli did to me, he did this. Every time something bad happened, he held me like this no matter what was happening around us.

"Tell me what's wrong," his soft voice cooed.

"Z-Zayn," I stuttered through sobs. He held me tighter, shushing me quietly.

"What did he do?" He asked, his voice somewhat sharp.

"Him and Carlee w-were," I shut my eyes and swallowed hard. "Him and Carlee were kissing and-"

"What?" He asked me, his voice hard. "Zayn and Carlee what? They kissed. Carlee did that to you?"

My heart started to beat fast, "they were drunk."

"It doesn't matter," he shook his head into my neck. "How could he? How could she?" He took in a deep breath and tried to collect his thoughts. "Did he do anything to you?"

I shouldn't tell him, I knew that. But he knew when I lied, so there was no point. "He, um, yelled at me."

"Nine years," he reminded me.

I was still sobbing uncontrollably and he still held me, not letting go. He knew by now that until I was one hundred percent better, and he let me go, I would fall apart worse than before. So he hugged me tighter, wet tears staining his shirt.

"Did he hit you? Are you okay?" He spoke in a low voice, making it seem as if he was hiding me from the rest of the world.

"He did hit me," I finally admitted.

"What!?" He yelled in my ear and I flinched. He broke away from me and stood up, pulling his sleeves back. "I'm going to kill that son of a bitch!" He shouted.

"Jack," I cried harder. He let me go too early.

His stone hard eyes turned to look at me, and immediately became soft. I wiped the tears falling from my eyes, only for more to escape. He gave me apologetic look and sat back down in front of me, wrapping his arms around me tighter than before. His breathing was sharp in my ear, and I knew he was mad.

Even worse, I knew what he was capable of doing when he was mad.

Even after what happened with Zayn and I, I still loved him more than I loved myself. I was not going to let him get hurt because of me. Not again.