Chapter 8 ♡

sorry I didn't update in forever! (I say that every chapter, I know) Anyways, HEADS UP this chapter is very important. Some new characters are introduced and I'm proud of this one. I'll be updating again very soon, like today soon. I hope you like it!(((:

------------

Chapter 8:

(Kat's POV)

I was sitting on the couch, eating a bowl of popcorn while watching the Full House marathon. I was almost halfway through the episode when there was a knock on the front door. I set the popcorn on the side table and walked to the door. Hoping that it would be either Jack, Zayn, or Carlee, I opened it, but I frowned when I saw who it was.

"Hey," Cora spoke, pulling off a weak smile.

I forced myself to smile back, "oh hi. Um, dad's not here right now but if you want me to ring him up-". She interrupted me by saying, "I know, he told me to wait here." I nodded and moved aside, letting her in.

Cora was dad's fiancé, in other words, my about-to-be step-mom. She wasn't exactly my favorite person in the world, but I wouldn't call her the worst. She was polite -yes- but she wasn't easy to talk to. She was one of those people you would try to impress just so they would look at you, but I gave up trying a long time ago. Her and Dad were supposed to get married in six months, this would be her first marriage, but my dads second.

But then again, I wasn't exactly about to go back and plot revenge towards Cora since she was marrying my dad.

Now, she was sitting on the stool to the kitchen counter while I went back to the couch. We sat there, awkwardly, so I decided to turn the TV volume a little higher. But it wasn't anything new, it was almost always awkward between us.

"So," she spoke loudly. Dammit, I thought the television would do the trick. I thought to myself as she continued. "Do you have an idea of a job or something?"

I winced at her question, not even ready to answer. Nobody had really asked me that in a while. "No," I spoke, "not really planning on it."

"Why not?" She answered back almost immediately.

I turned back to face her, you know, for "respect", "well," I started, "I don't think I need one since dad takes me to his place sometimes and he pays me when I go."

Dad owned a restaurant called The Frontier, and we had decided that I would work there for the time being.

"Really?" She acted surprised.

I nodded back at her, "yeah. It isn't really a big deal you know? I've got everything I need. I don't really care."

"But you should," she objected, "you need a job so you can learn responsibility and take part in real life, you aren't supposed to sit on this couch for the rest of your life." I glared at her for that one. Why did she care anyways? It wasn't like I was going to move in with her and dad after they got married. I had a couple of months to earn money for a flat of my own, and if I didn't earn what I needed in that time, dad would most likely lend me some money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not spoiled or anything, I just haven't exactly planned out my future.

"Well," I decided, "to be honest, I'm not really sure what to do. I'm definitely not going to work at some fast food restaurant to earn money."

"Oh heavens no!" She exclaimed, "I've already have something in mind for you." Cora smiled and reached for her purse while saying, "well Kat, as you know, I'm a model. I work for Gold Agency and they happen to be looking for a fresh face to represent the company. And I have suggested you to the boss and they would like to meet you." She pulled out a card and walked over to me, handing it over.

I sighed, "so basically, you're telling me to work for your company because you're in need of a 'fresh face'." Her excitement soon faded into disappointment. "No Kat," She sighed and sat beside me, "listen, I've already talked to your dad about this. We both want you to try this modeling offer, especially me. You're perfect for the job, and these kind of opportunities only come around once in a lifetime. Please don't refuse, this could be a huge opportunity for you. Just try it out, and if you don't like it, don't do it." I stared at her for a while, taking everything in.

She was right, this is a huge opportunity, I should take it. But what if I lose interest in modeling after a while, then both her and my dad would be disappointed. And what if I didn't like modeling, what if I get uncomfortable. I wouldn't know, I've never tried it before. I mean, I've seen Cora model sometimes, but I didn't understand it. But it was too big of an offer to pass up, "Fine," I finally said, "but I'm just testing it out." Well, I said in my head, I guess I'll just see how it goes.

Her face lit up as she jumped in excitement, "yes! Okay, don't worry about what's gonna happen, I'm sure you'll get the job. I'll help train you and tell you everything you need to know about modeling. In fact, we'll go shopping this weekend and get you clothes for your portfolio. Oh, and I'll make sure to make your schedule flexible and organized. You might need an assistant but I'll find one for you. Oh and if you ever need a ride there, I'll be delighted to give you one!"

"Whoa," I said, "calm down, I haven't even got the job yet."

She smiled, "but I'm sure you will."

The door unlocked to reveal dad, he walked in and saw both of us and grinned. "How are my two favorite girls doing?"