Chapter 5

I decided to head home early because Freen had an important family meeting, and everyone at the office left as well.

Since Becken had been asking for it, I went to the toy store and bought him a Lego set. He absolutely loved building things and dreamt of becoming an engineer or an architect someday.

"Thank you, Mommy!" Becken kissed my cheeks and started playing with his Lego set in the living room.

Nam looked at me and chuckled as she walked over. We both watched how happy Becken was with his new toy.

"How's work? How's Freen?" Nam asked.

I let out a sigh and looked at her. I really wanted to choke her sometimes. She never warned me about how scary Freen could look when she's angry.

"Well, she's pretty. But she can be quite intimidating, especially when she was staring at me earlier. It felt like she wanted to devour me," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"What if she actually wanted to eat you?" Nam raised her eyebrows, causing me to playfully slap her shoulder.

"If Becken hears you, I'll have to put duct tape on your mouth," I jokingly threatened.

"Mommy, who is Freen?" Becken asked.

I nudged Nam, and she chuckled as we joined Becken on the floor. He looked at me expectantly, waiting for my answer.

"She's going to be like your second mom, Becken. Your mommy is pursuing a relationship with her," Nam answered.

"Nam?" I called her name, feeling frustrated. "Don't listen to your auntie, Becken. She's just jealous because no one wants to pursue her," I explained.

"Hey, that's hitting below the belt!" Nam exclaimed, but I stuck my tongue out at her and focused on what Becken was doing.

"I heard you're working at a construction company. Can I come with you sometime? I want to see real tall buildings and materials. I want to experience more than what I see on YouTube," Becken pleaded, clasping his hands together.

"I'll take you with me soon, Becken. Maybe next week. Your mother will be busy with work, so you'll have to stay with your grandparents, is that okay?" Nam told him, and he nodded happily.

As Becken continued playing, Nam and I headed to the kitchen to prepare dinner.

It was difficult for me to decide. I wanted to live peacefully with my son, but I also wanted to fulfill my promise to Saint. I still hoped that he would accept me soon.

"Aren't you going to find Becken's father?" Nam asked suddenly. "He asked me earlier if I know who his father is. He's growing up, Becky. He deserves to know the truth."

"What truth? Even I don't know who his father is. I'm still trying to remember what happened that night, but all I can dream of is that annoying girl," I exclaimed, frustrated. "I really want to find his dad, but I don't know where to start. So, I'm thinking that if I manage to get Saint back, I'll introduce Becken to him as my son."

"Fine. I'm just worried about your decision," Nam commented.

I turned to her and furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"For the sake of your personal goals, you might hurt Freen along the way. She's not my friend, but she hasn't done anything to you, Becky. I'm not sure if you should continue with your plan. I feel guilty," Nam said, pouting.

What she said hit me. She was right. Freen hadn't done anything to deserve my actions.

"I'll reconsider my plan," I lied. "I'll investigate first if Freen truly loves Saint, and if not, I'll talk to her and tell her everything. Would that be okay?" I asked Nam, even though I had no intention of doing so.

There seemed to be no other way to win Saint back, especially when his parents held so much power. They needed a reason to dislike Freen enough to cancel the wedding themselves.

A/N: Thank you for the book cover SinisterLister ♥️