Chapter 86

"Here, take a sip." Nam handed me a glass of water with a concerned look. "What's going on, Becky? I thought you and Freen were good now?"

I accepted the glass but didn't drink right away. I stared at the sky from Nam's rooftop, feeling like the words were stuck in my throat.

The pain was crushing me from the inside out. The image of Freen with Amanda felt like a series of stabs to my heart. Amanda had returned just a week after leaving, which meant they'd been together for three weeks now. Those weeks were filled with flirting, and it was clear that Freen's attitude towards me had turned icy.

I fought back tears, my eyes aching from crying during the car ride. I didn't want to cry anymore, but I couldn't help it.

It hurt. Why didn't she tell me? This was the first time she'd broken her promise, and it was cutting me the deepest.

Nam sat beside me, her hand gently rubbing my shoulder. She rested her head on my shoulder, sighing softly.

"It's going to be alright, Becky. You just need to talk to her, sort things out. Remember when she forgave you after finding out you were only pretending to be interested because of Saint?" Nam's voice was reassuring. "Give her a chance, Becky. If she doesn't make an effort this time, then I'll help you move on. We'll go somewhere far, where she can't find you. Okay?"

I explained, "I can't just quit as the CEO because of the projects under my responsibility. I need to see them through before I resign. I'll still be around the office for a while."

"Then talk to her. If you still want to move on after those projects, I'll be there for you," Nam encouraged me with a smile. "Running away won't solve anything, Becky. And why should you run when it's not your fault?"

I nodded at Nam. "Can I stay here for a little while?"

"Actually, no." Nam sighed. "You see, this house is already sold, and someone bought it just a minute before you said you wanted to stay here. But I talked to Saint, you can stay at his place."

"I don't really want to stay with him," I admitted.

"But Becken wants you to. Are you okay being away from your son?" Nam raised an eyebrow, making me sigh. "I trust you, Becky. So what if you're staying at your ex's place? It's not like you're going to turn him into 'number two,' right?" Nam rolled her eyes playfully.

"Nam!" I lightly tapped her shoulder. "Saint and I won't do that. He's just the father of my son, not my husband. It's a completely different situation."

"I know. So go talk to him. He's a good guy, Becky. He won't let you down," Nam reassured me with a smile.

***
Following Nam's advice, I headed to Saint's house after downing a glass of vodka. I must have looked like a mess, and it was already evening. I was utterly exhausted.

"What's up?" he asked, opening the door wider to let me in. "Why do you smell like alcohol?"

"Just had a little bit," I managed a weak smile and collapsed onto the nearest couch.

My head was spinning, but the pain hadn't dulled. I had hoped the alcohol would help me forget, but it hadn't.

Why did you do that, Freen? Why lie?

I sighed as Saint squinted at me. "Stay put, I'll grab a towel to clean you up," he said before disappearing.

I stared at his white ceiling and tried to smile. What had happened the last time I got drunk? Freen had been there to take care of me. She'd been so kind and genuine.

Where had that Freen gone?

Thoughts of her made my heart race. Should I make her jealous in return? But we weren't kids anymore, and those games felt immature. If she wanted to come back, she'd need to make an effort.

I glanced at my phone. She hadn't bothered to call me. Why? Because she was with Amanda again, maybe she was even happy with Faye now. She wouldn't be annoyed anymore, with no one calling her to return.

"Here," Saint returned and gently wiped my face. Like Freen, he was tender and sweet. He cared for me, even if it pained him.

"Saint, do you still love me?" I blurted out.

"I always will, Becky. But whatever you're thinking, stop it. You're still engaged. You should marry her," he said, washing the towel in the sink.

"Help me forget about her," I pleaded.

Saint seemed taken aback but shook his head. "As much as I want to, I can't. You love Freen deeply. Once you've properly moved on from her and realize your feelings have changed, then I'll be here for you. You know I always will be, right?" He gave me a reassuring smile.

"Why are you so good to me?" I asked with a sigh. "You're making me feel guilty."

"I know you love her more than anything, Becky. You chose her over me even when you waited for me. You crashed our wedding and fought for her. You promised her the forever she deserves. Your love for her is profound, and your anger right now is clouding that. Give her a chance, Becky. Once you've figured it out, let's talk about this again." Saint kissed my forehead and led me to the room where I'd be staying.

"Thank you, Saint," I whispered.

"Rest up. You've got a long day ahead tomorrow," Saint ruffled my hair and headed back to the living room.

A/N: Char. I'll update again later.