Chapter 90

Early in the morning, the crew and other project members arrived on-site. I noticed that they were staying in a hotel, not the house where Freen and I were lodged.

Freen sported sunglasses, observing the workers cleaning and leveling the area. The engineer chatted with the architect while I look in the surroundings.

Everyone was busy, unlike me. I felt a bit out of place since I wasn't an expert in this field. I wished Mariel were here; she's so much more knowledgeable and the reason I excel at my job.

Freen joined me, pointing out the workers smoothing the construction area.

"Do you see them?" she asked.

"What about them?" I replied.

"They're prepping the site. After cleaning, leveling, and smoothing, we'll need materials for the foundation," she explained, and I nodded.

But inside, I wondered why she was telling me all this without me asking.

Freen's phone rang, and she stepped away to answer the call. She nodded as she talked, but there was no smile. Who was on the other end?

Feeling worried, I dialed Saint again, but he didn't pick up. Anxiety gnawed at me; he should at least keep me informed. I'm concerned about my son, even though I know Saint wouldn't neglect him.

"Calling Saint?" Freen asked, sliding her hands into her pockets. "He's busy with Becken, getting ready for the school event. Faye called, saying they have a family day next week. She wants me to come back," she said.

"Why don't you go then?" I inquired, trying to hide my annoyance.

"Why would I? My favorite person is here," she said, playfully caressing my chin before chuckling and walking off.

I furrowed my brow, watching her join the others. She seemed cheerful after teasing me.

Is she trying to flirt now? I rolled my eyes and returned to my phone. I saw Mr. Chankimha's caller ID and realized I still had questions for him.

Taking a deep breath, I found a quiet spot and dialed Mr. Chankimha. He picked up after just two rings, making me even more nervous.

"Hello, Mr. Chankimha?" I began.

"I told you to call me 'dad.' What's up?" he replied.

Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure what to ask. Should I be direct?

"I need to talk about Freen," I said, sighing. "Does Freen have a sister or a twin?" I questioned.

Mr. Chankimha chuckled on the other end, obviously making fun of me.

"Why? Because the Freen you're with seems like a different person?" he jested, laughing again. "Oh, come on, Becky. If Freen had a sister, I wouldn't have asked her a million times for a grandchild and to marry Saint."

He had a point. Maybe Freen didn't have a sister. If that's the case, then she's probably not being truthful about Amanda.

"Okay, thanks... uh, Dad," I stammered before ending the call.

Heart racing, I stepped out of my hiding spot only to startle when I saw Freen waiting outside.

"Someone's looking for the CEO. Why hide here?" she asked, arms crossed.

"I was on the phone. Who's looking for me?" I questioned.

"The most important person here," she replied.

I glanced around, but there was no one waiting for me.

"Where?" I asked, eyebrows furrowing. "Are you joking?"

"She's here. And you should focus on her," she insisted.

I crossed my arms, squinting at her. "I don't see anyone, Sarocha. Who's this important person? Who are you talking about?" I asked, my irritation growing.

Freen sighed, pointing at herself. "Me. Focus on me. I want your attention on me, and only me. Got it?"

I rolled my eyes. "And if I don't want to?"

"You can choose: focus on me, or I'll focus on you. Which do you prefer?" she asked, a hint of annoyance in her voice. "Quit lurking around. You're not familiar with this place, so just follow me." Freen intertwined our hands and led me to the tent where the engineers were stationed.

Freen remained calm despite our exchange. It felt like she was keeping something from me.

If I were in her shoes and accused of cheating, I'd be desperate to figure out why. But why was she so composed? She should be wondering who I saw that day. Why, Freen? Why act like it's no big deal?

I'm still mad at her. I need to find a way to make her come clean. I need a valid explanation.