Chapter 70

Before heading to the office, I stopped by the hospital to visit Becken. I found him still asleep, and Saint was there reading a story to him.

"How is he?" I asked in a hushed voice.

Saint gestured for us to talk outside, as Becken was a light sleeper and needed rest after just falling asleep.

"He's fine, just needs some rest," Saint said, glancing at Becken through the glass door.

"Is he not being stubborn?" I inquired.

"No, he behaved well. Although, he still didn't want to call me daddy," Saint chuckled, but there was a hint of pain in his voice.

"Can I ask you something?" I inquired further. "Do you know Heng?"

"Heng is our friend, but he's closer to Freen. He's the only doctor in our circle. Most people don't like him because they believe he succeeded through connections, not skill," Saint replied, grimacing and shaking his head.

"Then why did you trust him?" I raised my brows. "You let him find a surrogate mother and perform IVF if he's not skilled?"

"Because Freen trusts him," Saint replied.

"Freen trusts everyone, Saint. She's a soft-hearted, and with just one sob story, she'll fall for it. I thought you knew Freen?" I said.

"The IVF happened a year after we broke up. Freen and I weren't that close. In our circle, I'm closer to Nam. Let me remind you of that, Becky," Saint's voice rose, and he sighed. "Are you upset that the child you carried is not Freen's?"

"I want to know why Heng did that to me when I didn't do anything to him," I said.

"But Becken turned out to be a good child, Becky. There's no need to blame him for something like this," Saint scolded, but I scoffed.

"I love Becken, but what he did is totally absurd, Saint! If you were drunk and I happened to perform surgery on you without your consent, would you be happy?" I asked, anger evident in my voice. "I raised Becken to be a good child so he wouldn't end up being like me!"

"Fine, I get it!" Saint raised both hands in surrender. "Stop venting your anger at me, Becky. I'm not the bad guy here. If you want to know the reasons, then find Heng. I just want to be a father to Becken, that's all." Saint went back inside the room.

***
I went to the chairwoman's office, but Freen's secretary told me she went to my office, so I returned.

"What's going on?" I heard Freen's voice from inside my office, causing me to furrow my brows.

"Who's inside?" I asked one of my employees.

"Miss Freen with your secretary, ma'am. I overheard that Ms. Mariel bought or received a bouquet, and Miss Freen was furious when she saw the card," she explained, and I nodded.

Perhaps Freen saw that it was from her lover, and she got mad because it was delivered to the office instead of her house.

When I entered the room, I saw the damaged bouquet, and Freen was staring at Mariel intensely.

"What happened here?" I asked and locked the door behind me.

Mariel lowered her head, picked up the bouquet from the floor, and excused herself.

"What's going on, Freen? And why are you here?" I asked.

Freen looked at me and sighed. She handed me the card, and I read it.

"'Thank you, Miss'?" I asked, chuckling. "That's all? What's wrong with this?"

"That's not the point. She's giving you your favorite flower. She likes you, babe. Replace her," Freen urged.

I smiled, suppressing a laugh by pursing my lips. I walked up to Freen, pulled her close by her waist, and gently bit her lower lip, giggling when she looked at me with knitted brows.

"She didn't. Mariel is just a sweet girl. She sees me as her sister. She thanked me because I helped her find a video analyst. Her sister was being bashed on the internet because of some deepfake AI. Don't worry," I said, pressing my lips against hers.

Freen responded, wrapping her arms around me. She deepened the kiss and pinned me against the wall.

"Not here, babe. You and I still have lots of work to do. Remember?" I reminded her.

Freen sighed and nodded. She wiped the lipstick stain around my lips and asked, "Are you coming with me to visit Becken later?"

I shook my head. "Okay. Let's go to the site later. I'll show you something." Freen kissed my forehead and returned to her office.