Chapter 55

Freen and Non were deep into a conversation about business while we were enjoying our meal. Becken was engrossed in their discussion and even offered some suggestions, making Non quite fond of him.

"You sure know how a construction company works, huh?" Non exclaimed in disbelief, pride evident in his voice. He playfully ruffled Becken's hair, and Becken beamed at him.

"Mom and Daday helped me learn all about it. I really want to be an engineer and architect someday," Becken said, flashing his gummy smile.

"Once you become an Engineer, I'll hire you in my company," Nam chimed in, but Becken shook his head.

"Aren't you tired of seeing me all my life?" Becken asked, pouting. "You need to make your own family too, Auntie Nam. Or else you'll end up alone."

Nam wanted to flick his forehead but couldn't reach it. "Find me a husband, Becken. Someone like your Daday."

Becken looked at her with a cheeky expression. "Oh, but unfortunately, my Daday is one of a kind. There's no one else like her." Becken giggled and offered a high-five to me.

"Enough of that, let your Auntie Nam eat," Freen shook her head, laughing at Becken's cuteness.

"Anyway, how's your plan for your upcoming wedding? Aren't you going to invite your parents, Becky?" Non asked.

I glanced at Freen, and we both fell silent. Freen and I didn't have parents to attend our wedding, but I was thinking of reaching out to mine. If I did, Freen would be saddened because her parents wouldn't attend.

Or should I try to persuade her to reconcile with her parents? According to Nam's stories, they really cared about her. What if they found out that Becken is Freen's child? Perhaps they would accept her then.

I noticed Nam nudging Non and gesturing about something. Nam coughed and sighed.

"Becken, where do you want to buy your school supplies this time?" Nam asked, and Becken's face lit up.

"I earned a lot during vacation, auntie. Can I use it to buy my things?" Becken asked.

"You should save it for your future expenses, Becken. Besides, Daday still has money to buy you your supplies. What do you want?" Finally, Freen spoke after a few minutes. She must be thinking about her parents too.

After dinner, Freen and Becken decided to clean the dishes while Non and I chatted in the living room.

"Ah, I remember where I saw Freen's face before," Non snapped his fingers, as if Nam hadn't scolded him earlier. "I saw a girl who looked like her on the island I once vacationed. The girl you set me up with, Nam," Non said.

"What do you mean?" Nam asked, confused.

"You set me up with a girl on the island, right? She told me she had a daughter and she's a single mother. However, when I saw her daughter, she looked just like Freen," Non explained.

"How do you know what Freen looked like as a child?" Nam asked again.

"She's been your classmate since forever, Nam. I saw her in every yearbook you had," Non sighed and bit his lips.

Nam looked at me, and I shook my head because I knew that Freen was an only child. Perhaps, her father or mother had an affair with someone?

"Don't mention this to Freen, okay?" Nam reminded Non.

"But why? What if it's her sister? What if her father had an affair—?" Nam covered Non's mouth and glanced at the kitchen to check if Freen heard anything.

"Can you be quiet? If it's her sister, then Freen will definitely be upset about it. You know how much she loves her family. Let her parents tell her about it," Nam scolded Non again, and he nodded.

I looked at the two playing in the kitchen. They looked so cute together. I didn't want to ruin it.

If that girl happened to be Freen's sister. Then that's another kind of acceptance for her.