Chapter 42

It was really tough for me to go to work after what happened at the mall. During the taxi ride, I wished that Chompoo hadn't mentioned it to anyone.

As I walked into the office, everything seemed normal, and Chompoo wasn't at her desk. Maybe she was absent today? That would actually be a relief.

To my surprise, the office was locked, which made me furrow my brows. The new CEO never locks the door, especially when I'm not inside. She only does it when she's discussing something important with me.

"The boss is back. She was talking to Chompoo in there," the blonde girl said, catching me off guard.

Freen is talking to Chompoo? But why?

When Chompoo walked out, she glanced at me, her eyes filled with guilt. Freen turned to me with a blank expression and motioned for me to come inside.

My palms began to sweat nervously. What if Chompoo told her that I was the girl Saint was in love with? What would I say to Freen?

"You're late," she said.

I lowered my head and nodded. "I'm sorry, Miss. I got caught in heavy traffic."

"Forget the formalities. Chompoo mentioned that you were with Saint at the mall yesterday. Why?" she asked.

I lifted my head and looked at Freen, who wasn't wearing her usual poker face. She was simply sitting on her swivel chair, waiting for my answer.

"How did Saint meet Becken?" she asked again.

"Nam took Becken to her father's company. Since you, Nam, and Saint's company are all partners, they met there," I replied.

"So Saint took Becken to the mall, and you went with them to keep an eye on him?" she asked, and I nodded. "Did you miss me?" she suddenly asked, causing me to furrow my brows.

"Aren't you angry anymore?" I asked.

Freen let out a sigh and stood up, walking towards me. She pulled me close by my waist and kissed the tip of my nose.

"Why would I be mad when you're making that cute face?" she asked, pressing her lips against mine. "So, did you miss me?" she inquired.

"Yes," I slowly nodded.

"When I arrived this morning, I noticed Chompoo was restless. As soon as she saw me, she stood up and came to talk to me. She even locked the door to prevent you from hearing our conversation," Freen explained. "I told her to keep it a secret. Whatever she saw there, it should stay there. I think she understood it easily," she added.

"What exactly did she tell you?" I asked.

Freen tilted her head. "She told me that she saw you with my fiancé and another boy. Saint even said, 'I know it already.' She didn't exactly tell me what he meant."

"Hmm," I nodded. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I thought you were still busy," I said.

"It's okay. And it's my fault too. I still have things to do to make it up to you." Freen nuzzled my neck, sending shivers down my spine. "You smell nice."

"Freen," I called her name, attempting to tell her the truth.

She looked at me with an innocent expression, still holding onto our embrace. She raised her eyebrows, waiting for my next words, but I couldn't bring myself to say it.

Freen seemed exhausted, and she needed some time to process everything that had been revealed. I couldn't tell her the truth just yet.

I'll wait for another day. I need to make sure she's ready to hear it.

"Can we make love here?" I asked instead.