Chapter 80

The next morning, Mr. Chankimha joined us for breakfast. Since it's Saturday, Freen was excited about going to the mall with Faye and Becken to buy them things they wanted.

However, Becken, being the studious one, preferred to stay indoors and study, especially because they had tests coming up next week. So Freen decided to do it tomorrow.

"How's the company, Becky?" Mr. Chankimha asked me.

I smiled as I finished chewing my food. "The company's doing well, dad. We have lots of ongoing projects, and different teams are taking care of it," I said. "Our other stockholders are really happy with the news too."

"Well done," he praised me and resumed eating. Then he turned his attention to Becken and asked, "By the way, what did the teacher say about Becken's absences?" while gently cutting the bacon on Becken's plate.

Mrs. Chankimha wasn't around again, and Mr. Chankimha invited Becken to sit on his right.

"They should be thankful that I'm not suing them for what happened to him," Mr. Chankimha added, glancing at Faye.

Faye lowered her head and continued eating.

"They gave me a test yesterday. They said if I answered it correctly, I won't need special classes," Becken said, beaming at his grandpa.

"Really? What's the result?" Mr. Chankimha asked excitedly.

"I got a perfect score, grandpa!" Becken stood up and hugged Mr. Chankimha.

"That's amazing! What do you want as a reward? I'll buy you anything you want," Mr. Chankimha offered, but Becken hesitated and looked at Faye, shaking his head.

"But there's one favor I want to ask you," Becken said, leaning in to whisper to his grandpa. Then he returned to his seat.

"I'll think about it, Becken." Mr. Chankimha smiled at my son, and Becken nodded.

The breakfast became quieter due to the atmosphere. No one dared to speak, and everyone was hesitant to break the silence.

"What was your score on your previous exam, Faye?" Mr. Chankimha asked.

"I got 16 out of 30," Faye replied, lowering her head.

"That's a good start, but you have to try harder next time," Mr. Chankimha encouraged her, and Faye's eyes widened with a wider smile.

Freen and Becken suppressed their smiles, and now I knew what Becken had told his grandpa.

"Mommy, I want new bags and shoes," Faye smiled at Freen, who nodded in agreement.

I noticed Mr. Chankimha's sudden change of mood, but he remained calm. He excused himself because someone was calling.

I smiled at Becken and gave him a thumbs up, and he nodded, feeling proud of himself.

Seeing Freen so happy made me happy too. This would be the start. If Faye could change over time, Mr. Chankimha would be fond of her, and she wouldn't need to prove herself like Becken did.

Becken grew up in a loving family, unlike Faye. He had many people guiding him, which is why he turned out to be such a nice boy.

"Thank you, sweetie," Freen smiled at Becken and reached for his hand. "Daday loves you so much," she said.

"I didn't do much," Becken said, smiling somewhat sadly.

My phone rang, so I had to excuse myself as well. I stood up and answered the call.

"What is it, Mariel?" I asked.

"Ma'am, Mr. Saint is here at the office. He said he wants to talk to you," she said.

"Give the phone to him," I prompted.

"Becky, we need to talk. Not here, somewhere private," he said. "I have something very important to tell you."

"Can't it wait?" I asked.

"Fine. Let's meet tomorrow at our usual place, okay?" he said, making me chuckle.

"We don't have a usual place, you idiot." I rolled my eyes, even though he couldn't see it.

"Right, my bad. I'll send you the address tomorrow." Saint chuckled and ended the call before I could agree.

"Who was it?" Freen asked when she saw me.

I was startled and looked at her. "Saint. He needs to tell me something. Do you want to come?" I asked.

Freen shook her head. "I'm going to the mall with Faye. It's fine, babe. I trust you." She kissed my lips and caressed my cheeks softly.

I was glad she trusted me now, but the thought that she only trusted me because she had errands with Faye hurt me a bit.