Chapter 66

I went to the hospital after the teacher sent me the address. However, when I got there, the only person I saw was Freen. She was walking back and forth, crying uncontrollably.

As soon as our eyes met, she rushed to me and hugged me tightly, sobbing like a child. I tried my best to calm her down, even though I was feeling nervous too.

I was really worried about Becken and wanted to see him, but he was still inside the emergency room. I had no idea what was going on, and if my baby was okay. But at that moment, it was clear that Freen was in distress.

"What happened?" I asked. "Where's the teacher? Who did this?"

"Dad took care of them. The teacher said someone pushed him on the swing, and Becken hit his head on the ground. But no one knows who did it. Becken saw everything, but before he could point out the person, he fainted," Freen explained through her tears, shaking her head. "Our baby is inside, Becky. I can't..." She hugged me again, sobbing.

"He will be fine, Freen. Stop crying now. You know Becken hates seeing us cry," I reassured her.

We had to wait for almost 30 minutes before the doctor finally came out and told us that Becken needed a blood transfusion because he had lost a lot of blood. But there was a problem: his blood type was rare.

"What do you mean rare? We are his parents. We don't need donors," Freen protested.

"His blood type is AB negative," the doctor said, surprising us.

How was that possible? Wait.

"What? AB negative?" Freen asked. "But Saint's blood type is A, and I am O. That doesn't make sense, doc," she added. "Besides, O is a universal donor, right?"

"But in his case, it's better to transfer the same blood type to him. If neither of you has AB negative blood, we won't be able to transfer blood to him. This is urgent, Ms. Chankimha. You have to call the child's biological parents," the doctor explained.

"Are you saying that I am not his parent?" Freen shouted in disbelief.

"I am saying that if we don't act now, he'll die," the doctor said, urgency in his eyes.

"I am AB negative," I said. "I can give him blood."

Freen looked puzzled and confused, but I ignored her and went with the nurse to get my blood drawn.

"Ma'am, I don't know anything about your situation, but-"

"Then don't talk," I interrupted firmly. "Don't say anything about it since you don't know anything."

"I'm sorry, ma'am," the nurse said and left me alone in the room.

As I waited, I couldn't stop thinking about how this could happen. How am I the biological mother of Becken? It would look like Saint and I intentionally had Becken, but we didn't even do anything like that. How did I become Becken's mother?

Although I should have been happy to know he was really my child, the thought of Freen being denied her rights as his mother, after all she and her family did for him, made me feel guilty.

"Are you okay, babe? Does it hurt?" Freen asked as she entered the room where I was waiting. She looked at the bandage on my arm and tried to smile through her tears. "You're hurt," she said, trying to be strong.

"I'm sorry," I said, feeling guilty for causing her pain.

"It's not your fault. None of this is your fault, okay?" Freen lifted my head and gave me a gentle kiss on the lips. She hugged me tightly, comforting me.

I should have been the one comforting her. I should have been strong for her, not the other way around.

"Don't think too much, babe. I'm still Becken's Daday, no matter what happens, okay?" Freen assured me, kissing my forehead. "I will always be his Daday and your wifey. No one can change that."