Chapter 53

As I stood at the entrance of the beautiful wedding church, my heart sank with every step I took down the aisle. The venue was incredibly fancy, with extravagant decorations that showed off the wealth and importance of the guests. The air was filled with the scent of expensive perfumes, and the chandeliers added an extra touch of elegance.

The church itself was breathtaking, with tall stained glass windows depicting scenes from the Bible. The gold accents and intricate carvings made me feel trapped and melancholic. It was like being in a stunning but confining cage of marriage.

Everyone in the crowd looked incredibly stylish, adorned with sparkling jewelry that almost blinded me. They whispered quietly, clearly excited to witness the union of two influential families.

"Smile, Freen. Everyone is excited. You should try to look excited too," Dad whispered, but I pretended not to hear him.

I glanced up at the altar, where Saint stood waiting for me in a dashing suit that showcased his prestigious family background. However, instead of feeling happiness, my heart screamed, yearning to break free from the pressure of meeting others' expectations and escaping this forced marriage.

"I'm glad you can finally find peace. You two will build a family and be happy," Dad said again, smiling at me, but I brushed him off.

I scanned the surroundings, searching for the person I had been waiting for, but she was nowhere to be found. I had promised myself that if I saw her here, I would tell her that I accepted her decisions. I would rather give her to Saint than let her be burdened by guilt. I wanted to talk to her and offer forgiveness.

It was the last thing I wanted to do. If she appeared, I would tell the priest to marry them instead of me, and I wouldn't care if it happened in front of my father.

As I walked towards Saint, the soft carpet beneath my feet muffling my steps, I felt the weight of my family's expectations on my shoulders. Each step felt like surrendering, like giving up on my own dreams and succumbing to a life that had been planned for me. I wanted to shout and express my unhappiness, but I had to pretend to be happy, concealing my true emotions behind a practiced smile.

The ceremony proceeded, with solemn rituals and vows that felt like they had been recited countless times before. But inside me, a storm of emotions raged. The words felt hollow, as if they held no real meaning, while I watched the rings being exchanged and a future being sealed that I hadn't chosen for myself.

"Wait a second," Saint whispered, hesitating to place the ring on my finger.

I smiled at him. I knew it. She was waiting for Becky. She was waiting for her to interrupt our wedding day and steal him away.

I envied him. Becky had done everything to win him back, even if it hurt me. I admired their love for each other, and I hoped that one day I would find someone who loved me that fiercely.

Someone like Becky.

"Father, aren't you going to ask if anyone objects to our marriage?" Saint asked.

"Oh," he replied.

I guess my dad had instructed him not to say it. They had planned this meticulously.

"Before we proceed with the ring exchange, does anyone object to the union of this couple? If so, speak now or forever hold your peace." The priest's voice echoed through the church, and I watched as someone stood up.

"Me," she said.

Gasps filled the room as everyone's eyes turned towards Becky. Tears welled up in my eyes as I saw her. I missed her so much, but this time I knew she wasn't here for me.

Becky's gaze was fixed on Saint. Her hands trembled as she slowly walked towards us.

My dad looked around, searching for guards, but there were none to be found. Our guests were moved by Becky's bravery. They all knew that this marriage was forced upon me, so they expected something like this to happen.

"Thank you," she said to Saint, her voice barely above a whisper as she lowered her head. "I've never done anything like this before. I've never fallen so deeply for someone. I've never given my all to anyone because I've always been afraid of getting hurt. I've never crashed someone's wedding, and this is the first time I've been so scared in my life. There were so many 'what ifs' running through my mind. I would never get used to waking up without you. I would miss you, your cooking, your morning cuteness, and how you made me laugh. I've never been this sure before, but now I'm a hundred percent certain that I want to be with you." Becky lifted her head and looked at me. "I want you, Freen. Will you fulfill your promise and run away with me?"

I turned to Saint, and he smiled, nodding his approval. "Go," he said. "Reclaim your life, Freen. You deserve it." He raised his thumbs and smiled as tears streamed down his cheeks.

I took Becky's hand, and we ran out of the church. There, I saw Nam and Becken waiting for us in the car. We hopped in, and Nam drove off without hesitation.

Glancing back, I saw my father watching the car we had escaped in. He let out a sigh and shook his head.

"Success, Becky? I told you. This was the only way I knew to cancel the wedding," Nam giggled, and Becken joined in with laughter. They high-fived each other, and Becky shook her head, chuckling.

"That was quite a speech back there, huh?" I asked.

"I didn't know how else to make you believe in me, so I just spoke from the depths of my heart," she replied. "I mean every word, Freen. I want to spend my whole life with you."

I smiled at Becky and pressed my lips against hers. Nam and Becken erupted in joyous shouts, and we all laughed together.

Finally, we no longer had to hide.

Or just I thought so?

To be continued...

a/n: Interact with me in the comments! ❤️