Chapter 20

I arrived at the office late in the morning, but Freen wasn't there. It was already 8 a.m., and she was nowhere to be found. I tried calling her multiple times, but she didn't answer.

Last night, she texted me that she had made it home and even sent a picture of herself lying in bed, so I was relieved to know she was safe. But where could she be now?

"Chompoo, did Freen... I mean, Miss Chankimha, go to the site?" I asked.

Chompoo tilted her head and shook it. "Actually, she was here a little while ago, but her fiancé came to pick her up," she explained.

"Her fiancé?" I asked, puzzled.

"Yeah," she replied, nodding. "He showed up with flowers and apologized to her. They were so sweet," Chompoo said, gazing at the ceiling as if she were imagining herself in Freen's shoes.

"Did she leave anything behind? Like a note or something?" I inquired.

"Ah, yes!" Chompoo exclaimed. She handed me a stack of folders. "She asked me to give these to you for review. Once they're okay, she'll need to sign them," she said, smiling at me.

I nodded, feeling disappointed. I entered the office and placed the folders on my desk. Sitting down, I glanced at my phone, but Freen still hadn't messaged me.

I looked at Nam's message and let out a sigh. Did Saint somehow see me with Freen yesterday? Was his behavior a result of what he witnessed? And why did he bring flowers while fetching Freen today?

I rolled my eyes, crossed my arms over my chest, and turned my attention to the door. When I noticed the doorknob moving, I quickly grabbed one of the folders and pretended to read it.

Freen stood before me, but I didn't greet her. If she wanted me to talk to her, she needed to explain first.

"Are they all done?" she asked.

I lifted my head to look at her. Once again, she had that blank expression on her face.

Is that it? Isn't she going to apologize?

"Not yet. I'll finish these before the end of the day," I retorted, motioning for her to sit in her swivel chair.

Freen walked over, and I felt her face burying in my neck as she wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I left my phone here, which is why I couldn't message you. And Saint said we had to leave urgently, so I couldn't even leave a note," she explained.

"It's fine. You don't need to explain," I said, patting her head.

"Are you mad? You were sulking earlier," she said.

I shook my head and turned to face her. She pouted and kissed my forehead.

"Go back to your seat. I'm fine now," I said.

I didn't know why I couldn't stay mad at Freen. She was just too cute, and when she softened, she looked like a little kitten.

"Let's go to my house later. I'll cook something for you," Freen said, kissing my cheeks and smiling.

Blushing, I turned away, and Freen giggled.

"Why are you shy?" she asked, making me face her. I lowered my head to hide my face, but she gently lifted it. "Don't worry, it's just you and me here," Freen reassured me with a smile and kissed my nose before returning to her seat.