Chapter 78

After a week, Faye finally arrived at the mansion with Freen. Freen picked her up from Amanda's house. While Faye and Becken waited in the dining area, Freen went to talk to her father in his office.

"Mommy, can I help the maids set the table? Please?" Becken asked eagerly.

Even after a week, Becken still wanted to help the maids with chores. His grandpa had advised against it due to his head injury, but Becken couldn't stand watching others work while he did nothing.

"Okay, but be careful, and take care of your head," I said, to which Becken nodded.

Meanwhile, Faye seemed uninterested, rolling her eyes as she watched Becken help the maids.

"Why don't you help them too?" I asked her.

"No thanks, I'm not meant to be a maid," she replied dismissively, crossing her arms and sitting in Mr. Chankimha's seat.

"That's grandpa's seat, Faye," Becken politely reminded her.

"I'll sit where I want, okay? I'm Mommy Freen's daughter, and I can do whatever I want!" she snapped at Becken, making me sigh.

"I never raise my voice at my child, not even once. So don't you dare shout at him. Are we clear?" I firmly addressed Faye.

Faye looked me up and down, scoffing. This girl was really getting on my nerves.

"It's fine, Mom. I understand her," Becken smiled, resuming his help with the maids.

The maids were proud of Becken, and he just chuckled with gratitude.

As we settled at the table, I asked the maid to call Freen and her father to join us.

"Why are you helping the maids? Are you a loser too?" Faye provocatively asked Becken.

I wanted to tell Becken not to answer, but he seemed to want to teach Faye some manners. So I allowed him to respond.

"I want to learn how to do chores while I'm still young. So if my mom isn't around, I can take care of myself," Becken explained. "And what about you? Besides looking down on people, what can you do?" he asked.

"Becken, that's not a proper question," I scolded him gently.

Although he wanted to respond harshly to Faye's disrespect, I knew it was better not to stoop to her level and demean her as well.

"Whatever. At least, I'm a real daughter of a Chankimha. How about you? A bastard?" Faye retorted.

Her words hit below the belt, and it took all my strength to remain calm. I was about to say something when Becken reached out to hold my hand discreetly under the table, shaking his head to dissuade me.

"She's not worth it, Mom. Let her be," Becken said calmly.

A few minutes later, Freen joined us in the dining area, but her father was still upset and refused to come to eat.

"Where's dad?" I asked.

"He's not eating. He's still angry," Freen sadly explained. "Faye, why are you sitting there?" she asked, seeing Faye occupying Mr. Chankimha's seat.

Faye stood up defiantly, crossing her arms. "Then where should I sit?" she demanded.

Freen's seat was on the left side of Mr. Chankimha, and I was seated between Freen and Becken. There was no designated seat for Faye.

"You're in my house now, Faye. Watch your words," Freen said, gesturing for her to sit on the right side.

Freen then urged us to start eating as she had a lot of work to do afterward. Faye continued her unpleasant commentary about the food, while Becken savored every bite, unperturbed.

"Can you please lower your voice, Faye? Grandpa could hear you, and he'll be upset," Becken advised, but she didn't stop.

As fate would have it, Mr. Chankimha overheard Faye's negative remarks about the maids and the food.

"Dad..." Freen stood up, trying to mend the situation. "Come and eat with us," she said.

"Your child continues to disappoint me, Freen," he said and turned to Faye. "Can you cook? Can you wash the plates? Can you do what they can do? Who's the loser then?" Mr. Chankimha asked her.

Faye trembled and burst into tears, seeking comfort from her mother. Frustrated, Mr. Chankimha shook his head in disappointment.

"That's not a Chankimha, Freen. I'm telling you," he said before walking out.

The maids remained silent, and Freen politely excused herself to take Faye to her room.

Sitting back down, I looked at Becken, who continued eating quietly.

"I warned her, Mom. I'm sorry," he said.

"It's alright. It's not your fault that your grandpa is upset," I reassured him with a smile.

"Should I talk to grandpa and tell him to have more patience with Faye? She grew up without proper guidance. We should understand her for now." Becken lowered his head.

"As much as I want to talk to him too, we can't. We're not in the right place," I told him and he nodded.

I felt sympathy for Freen. She only wanted to be with her child, but Faye's behavior was making it difficult for her to convince her dad to accept Faye.