Chapter 39

When I got home, I found Nam sitting in the dining area, once again sipping her whiskey. It seemed like she had another problem at work.

"Non, this is the last time I'm setting you up with a girl. If this doesn't work, I'm disowning you as my brother!" Nam yelled into her phone and hung up.

I chuckled at her words and made my way to the fridge to grab a glass of water. Settling into a chair across from Nam, I noticed her furrowed brows and let out a sigh.

"Why do you look so concerned?" she asked, taking another sip of her whiskey. "Having a lover's quarrel, perhaps?"

I shook my head. "I'm just exhausted from work," I replied.

Nam grimaced, clearly not believing my excuse. "Your eyes tell a different story. You've been crying. Are you comfortable sharing what's bothering you?"

I sighed and nodded. "It's about Freen."

"I knew it." Nam clapped her hands together and stared at me intently. "What happened?" she asked.

"I saw her at the bridal boutique shop trying on wedding gowns. She looked absolutely stunning," I said, mustering a fake smile.

"It's too early for your wedding," Nam said, trying to lighten the mood.

I shook my head, and tears began to flow. "She has to marry Saint right away. It was her father's dying wish."

Nam let out a heavy sigh and came over to hug me. "I didn't want to say this, but I told you so. Choosing Freen would come with countless challenges. Firstly, her father disapproves of her being gay. Secondly, people will judge you, and Becken might face bullying for having two mothers. Lastly, same-sex marriage isn't legally recognized here, so being together won't be easy." Nam explained while gently stroking my hair.

"But I love her, Nam. I love her more than anything right now!" I cried in her embrace. "I told her it was okay to follow her father's wishes, but the thought of seeing her marry someone else would shatter me. I don't know where I'll find the strength for that."

"This is the first time I'll side with Freen since you told me about your love for her," Nam said. "She's worth the risk, Becky. You know what sets her apart from Saint? Saint waited for you to take action, while Freen did everything she could to find you. That's a world of difference. So, she's worth the pain, Becky. And in case you forgot, you haven't told her about your previous relationship with Saint."

"I'm planning to talk to Saint when he returns. I'll explain that I can't marry him because I'm in love with Freen," I said with determination.

"So, you won't use him first?" Nam asked.

"What?" I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"If Freen can't stop the wedding, maybe you can let Saint be the one to call it off. Pretend for a while, but don't give him false hope. Be honest once the wedding is canceled," Nam suggested, biting her lip. "But that might not be a good idea, I guess."

"Do you have any other ideas?" I asked.

"Other than that or sabotaging the wedding day, not really," Nam chuckled and returned to her seat. "It's your decision, Becky. It's up to you," she said.

I sighed and nodded. Deep down, I knew I didn't have feelings for Saint, but Freen couldn't do much to cancel the wedding. Perhaps if I explained everything to her, she would understand.

"Did Saint mention when he's coming back?" I asked Nam.

She shook her head and finished her glass of whiskey. "But Non told me he's returning this week. Maybe tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow? That's too soon," I said.

"I don't know," Nam shrugged.