Chapter 29

I was taken aback by Freen's question. I didn't know how to respond or whether I should tell her the truth.

Maybe she already knew I had a son because she was the one who made it happen in the first place.

"I'm not angry, Becky. I'm just curious," she reassured me.

I lowered my head and nodded. "Yes, I have a son. He's turning seven soon," I admitted. "I didn't mean to keep it from you. I was just afraid that if you found out, you might leave."

Freen smiled and chuckled. She gently tousled my hair and pulled me into a warm hug.

"I didn't seek you out just to abandon you like that. I also want to apologize," Freen sighed and looked into my eyes. "That night, when we were intimate, I asked you for a favor to carry my child. I was desperate, so I reached out to my doctor friend to help us. But then my father called me, and I had to leave abruptly. When I returned, my friend told me that you had left. I thought maybe you had forgotten everything because you were intoxicated." Freen explained.

"Then why didn't you ask me about the baby the first time I remembered you?" I questioned.

"Because my friend admitted to making a mistake. I don't know what kind of mistake, but I believed the baby wouldn't develop because you were under the influence. I thought the baby hadn't been born," she said, her eyes welling up with tears. "I'm grateful that he did and that he grew up with you as his mother, Becky."

"He's a wonderful boy. And I think his love for building and construction comes from you," I said, chuckling.

"Let me make up for the years I wasn't here. Let me spoil him when we're together," she offered, reaching for my hand. "I want to take care of both of you, if you'll allow me."

"But I'm still afraid, Freen," I admitted, looking down. "Saint is the sperm donor and your fiancé. What if he discovers our son? Will he try to take him away from us?" I voiced my concerns.

"Saint won't do that. He can have as many children as he wants with his woman. Don't worry about him," Freen assured me, gently caressing my cheek.

But I am his woman.

I wanted to confess that to her, but I still lacked the courage. We're just starting to build a family. I didn't want to ruin it so soon.

"Come on," Freen said, taking hold of my hands. "I want to show you something." She smiled and led me outside.

Hand in hand, we walked to the shore, and she asked me about Becken's favorite things. She even inquired about his favorite toy, and I answered that it was the blocks. Freen looked incredibly proud of her son, her smile infectious as I shared all the sweet things Becken did.

"So, I really heard a boy's voice that night?" Freen asked, referring to the night she was drunk and Becken washed her face.

"Yeah, he even told me that you're beautiful. Twice," I mentioned, chuckling.

"Unfortunately, he takes after Saint in terms of looks. If he looked like me, he would be handsome too," Freen joked.

"So, you're saying Saint isn't handsome?" I playfully questioned.

Freen tilted her head, pretending to contemplate. "He's alright, but I'm more handsome. Don't you think?" she asked, winking at me, causing me to burst into laughter.

Freen suddenly stopped, and I noticed that the sun was setting. It was a breathtaking sight. Then an airplane banner passed by, it said, "Will you marry me?"

She squeezed my hand, making me face her, and I was surprised when she knelt down on the sand and opened a ring box.

"I know it might seem too soon, but I want to marry you, Becky. I've been waiting for you for seven years, and I think that's enough time to prove my loyalty to you," Freen declared, swallowing the lump in her throat. "I've imagined spending the rest of my life with you, creating a beautiful home and building a family together. Will you make me the luckiest person in the world and say 'yes'?"

My heart warmed, and a smile spread across my face. Now I realized how genuine and sincere this person in front of me was, and I had no regrets choosing her over everything else.

If she waited for me, that was proof enough of her loyalty. But did I love her enough in return? Enough to spend the rest of my life with her?