Chapter 89

Freen arrived home quite late, and even though she didn't appear visibly drunk, there was something off about the way she looked at me. I approached her and detected the scent of alcohol.

"Seriously? You were just supposed to go out for dinner? Tomorrow, we're supposed to deal with the employees, and now you're going to face them with a hangover?" I scolded her, helping her take off her coat.

"Can you maybe ease up a bit? Remember, I'm still your boss," she retorted, giving me a defiant glare.

"Yeah, sure, you're my boss. But can you even manage to clean yourself up right now? Can you even get yourself washed in this state?" I questioned her.

Freen lowered her head, avoiding eye contact, and mumbled softly.

"I guess not, huh? So, just sit down and try not to move around too much. You'll feel even more dizzy," I motioned her to sit on the couch and went to grab a towel to help her freshen up.

Wait a second, why am I doing this? We're not together anymore, and it's way past working hours. She's not my responsibility.

I frowned and pondered why I was going to these lengths for her.

Forget it. This is the last time I'm looking after her. After this, she's on her own. I couldn't care less if she sleeps in dirty clothes. It's not my problem anymore.

Returning to the living room, I found her lying down on the couch, her eyes closed. She must be really exhausted.

I caught myself wondering, what if I had gone out with her? Both of us drunk, doing something—

STOP THINKING LIKE THAT, BECCA! GET A GRIP!

I gave myself a little slap on the cheek and shook my head, refocusing on wiping Freen's face. As I did, she suddenly grabbed my hand, stopping me in my tracks. When she opened her eyes and met my gaze, she let go and let out a sigh.

"What's up with you?" I questioned, my cheeks turning slightly pink as I rolled my eyes.

"Nothing. Just, uh, be gentle," she whispered, closing her eyes once more.

I averted my gaze, feeling a bit flustered. What was she getting at? I'm just cleaning her face.

With care, I continued to wipe her face and noticed a small bruise beneath her ear. That must be why she wanted me to be cautious.

"What happened here?" I inquired, my voice barely above a whisper.

"It's nothing. Just please avoid touching it," she responded, her eyes still closed.

"Can I ask you something else?" I inquired, sighing softly as I wiped her neck. "Why did you cheat?"

I knew this wasn't exactly the right moment for such a question, but I remembered reading somewhere that drunk people tend to be more honest.

"I didn't," she replied, causing me to roll my eyes in disbelief.

I guess that article I read wasn't all that trustworthy.

"You did. Stop pretending," I retorted.

"I really didn't. Believe what you want. My conscience is clear, Becca. I'm clean," she affirmed without opening her eyes.

"I saw you with Amanda that day. You were kissing her," I persisted.

Freen let out a sigh and opened her eyes, giving me a soft, gentle look. Her gaze lingered on my lips for a moment, and she offered a faint smile.

"Why would I kiss her when you have the best lips?" she quipped, turning her attention toward me. "I don't have any feelings for Amanda. I don't know what you're talking about. Believe me or not, it's your call." She smiled wistfully and turned away. "I can sleep here. You can go to the bedroom."

I stood up and let out a sigh.

If she wasn't the one I saw, then who was it? But I saw her with my own eyes. It was her.

Why does she keep denying it?

Unless...

I shook my head, dismissing the unlikely thought. It's just not possible. If Freen had a sister or a twin, she would have mentioned it to me. Should I talk to Saint about it? Or Nam? They used to be close friends, right? But then again, it seems like Nam doesn't know everything about her.

Who should I turn to for answers?

Maybe Mr. Chankimha?