Chapter 102

I discovered Freen in the room of the house she had built for us. She sat on the bed, lost in her thoughts, a world away from everything around her.

No tears were visible, yet I sensed her exhaustion from all the drama. Maybe she yearned for some tranquility amidst the chaos.

"Hey," I softly called, taking a seat beside her. She remained distant, not responding. "I'm here. Please, let me in. Share whatever's weighing on your mind."

"You know what's eating at me, Becky," she replied. "It's just baffling why people can't be honest with me."

I lowered my gaze, grappling with how to respond.

"I've been wondering, am I a fool to trust them all? Why the lies to my face?" Freen's voice wavered. "I've always been real with them, Becky. Always honest. So, why?"

I embraced Freen from the side, offering my shoulder for her tears.

"Why's it always my burden? Why do people insist on toying with my feelings? Why can't they just own up? I'd forgive them if they'd just come clean the first time I asked," Freen's frustration poured out.

Her pain resonated deeply, and I wished to lighten her load, but felt powerless. All I could do was be there, hold her close, and let her vent.

"I want an escape, Becky. A temporary one. Away from all these troubles. Away from those who keep me in the shadows," Freen sighed. "I crave peace of mind."

"What should I do?" I inquired.

Freen turned toward me, a bittersweet smile gracing her lips. "Give me space for now. These situations are drowning me. I don't want you witnessing this every day."

"You're leaving?" My heart ached as I voiced my pain.

"I'll be back," she assured, her gentle kiss landing on my forehead.

I yearned to express my unwavering support, to be whatever she needed. Yet, if granting her space brought her solace, then I'd respect her wish.

"Your past promise broke. Give me a true timeline, Freen. I'll await your return," I promised.

Freen's smile carried a hint of sadness. She bit her lip and whispered, "I'll reappear before you realize it."

Standing, Freen exited the room, leaving me adrift in thoughts. My mind was a swirl of confusion. Though not my fault, why was I also caught in this turmoil? This wasn't the life I envisioned. Challenges and hurdles seemed insurmountable without her by my side.

"Freen!" My voice echoed from the window as I glimpsed her opening the car door. "I love you!"

Freen grinned, a nod confirming her acknowledgment. "Thank you."

Tears streamed down as her car faded into the distance. How much pain must I endure to grasp happiness? How much agony was warranted before we could be together?

I embraced myself, pondering the impending days. Was this the finale? Did she truly choose to escape rather than confront her demons? Was my love insufficient?

I comprehended the anguish tormenting her, yet fleeing couldn't be the answer.

Why did you choose to leave, Freen? Why surrender to pain?