Chapter 56

Freen was busy tackling the laundry, while Becken diligently practiced his handwriting, when the telephone suddenly rang. Since Freen was occupied, I took it upon myself to answer.

"Hello?" I greeted. "This is Chankimha's residence, who's calling?"

"Is this Becky Armstrong?" the voice from the other end inquired.

"Yes, speaking. Who is this?" My heart skipped a beat when she mentioned my name. Did we know each other somehow?

"Please don't hang up. I'm Freen's mom," the woman introduced herself. "Is Freen available to talk?"

"She's busy with some household chores," I replied, trying not to feel awkward.

I shouldn't have said that. I forgot that Freen came from a higher social class, yet here she was doing laundry.

"I miss my daughter dearly. Could we come over and speak with her? Can you help us with that?" Freen's mom requested.

I hesitated for a moment, feeling torn. They wanted me to talk to her on their behalf because they couldn't? After all, they did so much for her to leave me?

"When do you want to speak with her?" I asked, trying to sound accommodating.

"The sooner, the better," she replied.

Sighing, I said, "Fine, but if you talk to her, will you accept her for who she is? I don't want to add to her burdens. She's finally found peace, Mrs. Chankimha."

"We want to reconcile with our daughter. If accepting her for who she is will bring her back, then we'll do it," she assured me.

"Bring her back?" I asked, puzzled.

"Don't misunderstand, Ms. Armstrong. We just want Freen to stay with us for a while. After you two get married, we'll let her go back to you in one piece," she explained.

"I'll talk to Freen first. I'll send you the address now," I said, ending the call.

My knees trembled, and I swallowed hard, feeling nervous about all of this.

"Who was that?" Freen asked, wiping her hands dry with a towel. "A client?"

"No," I replied. Leading her to the couch, I asked her to sit down and settled beside her. "Do you think you should talk to your parents, Freen?"

Freen let out a heavy sigh and made to stand up, but I gently urged her to remain seated. "I don't want to hear anything from them, Becky. You know how much I hate them."

"But what if this time they can accept you? And what about your father, Freen?" I prodded.

"Grandpa?" Becken peered from his bedroom door. "Will I meet grandpa?"

I smiled at Freen and said, "See, your son wants to meet his grandfather."

"Becken, go back to your room and close the door. No eavesdropping," Freen scolded, and Becken obediently went back to his room. "That's why I didn't want to reconcile with them. I'm afraid they won't accept Becken. What if they consider him a sin too? I don't want Becken to hear such hurtful words from his grandparents."

I gently squeezed Freen's hand, trying to reassure her. "Freen, we'll never know if we don't try. What if your father ends up liking Becken? Especially since he's already showing great promise in your business. He could be a valuable asset to your company when he grows up."

"I don't know, babe. I'm just afraid. I don't want to hurt Becken's feelings," Freen admitted, looking away with a heavy sigh.

"I gave them the address of this house, and they're on their way," I confessed, bowing my head.

"Why did you do that?" Freen asked, sounding frustrated.

Freen let go of my hand and went to Becken's room. In the meantime, there was a knock at the door, so I went to answer it.

Freen's parents were standing there with bouquets of tulips in their hands. I smiled at the sight of them and welcomed them inside.

"Please, have a seat," I said, gesturing to the couch.

At that very moment, Freen emerged from the room, carrying Becken in her arms.

"I'm going out today. If they ask for me, tell them I'm not here," she said without looking at me, so she didn't notice her parents.

"Daday, it's grandpa and grandma! Look!" Becken exclaimed, pointing excitedly at Freen's parents.

Freen's parents were taken aback, and Freen looked surprised as well. Her mother smiled, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Look, honey. It's our grandson."