Chapter 40

I woke up to the sound of music drifting from the piano. Wait, when did Nam start playing the piano? I thought she bought it just for show, not to actually play. Besides, she didn't even know how to play. It's impossible for Becken to be playing it too.

I slid off my bed and headed outside to see who was playing. To my surprise, I found Becken and Saint sitting in front of the piano. Saint was playing, and Becken was listening intently.

"'Cause I made a promise to hold you forever by the hand," Saint sang and then looked at Becken. They shared a warm smile.

"And that I would never let go, so don't worry, here I'll stand." Becken rested his head on Saint's arm as he continued to play.

"To remind you, like the first time, I will always love you more than yesterday," Saint sang again, and Becken turned to look at me. Meanwhile, Saint kept singing, locking eyes with me. "And no matter what, I'll stay..."

"Look, Mommy, Uncle Saint is here!" Becken exclaimed, wrapping his arms around me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, rubbing the back of my neck. "We agreed that I would give my answer in three months, right? It's only been a month."

"What answer, Mommy?" Becken asked curiously.

Oops, I forgot he was here. I knelt down to his level.

"Go to Auntie Nam for a little while, okay? I need to talk to Uncle Saint alone." I ruffled his hair and nodded.

Becken waved goodbye to Saint, who smiled back at him. Once Becken was out of sight, I hurriedly pulled Saint into the kitchen, making sure no one could overhear us.

"Why are you here?" I asked, my voice filled with anger.

"Why are you mad? I'm here to surprise you. Aren't you happy to see me?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "No."

"Ouch," Saint said, feigning hurt as he clutched his chest. "Why are you acting this way, Becky? Bad dreams?"

"Saint, I'm not ready to give you my answer yet," I told him firmly.

Saint chuckled and reached for my hands. He gently squeezed them and looked at me.

"I'm still willing to wait until you're ready, even if it takes a year," Saint said, messing up my hair playfully. I shoved his hands away.

"But I heard you're getting married in a month," I mentioned. "What's your plan?" I asked.

"Right," Saint said, tilting his head in thought. "I'll cancel it. I'll tell them that I'm in love with someone else. If you're still not ready by then, I can introduce you to my family again another time."

I sighed in relief, feeling a weight lifted off my shoulders. Saint pulled me into his arms, but I didn't feel anything. I wasn't missing him anymore. I guess I was no longer in love with him; I just cherished the memories we had together.

Honestly, Saint was the best boyfriend I've ever had. He always did things without being asked and never made me jealous, even when other girls were interested in him. He was so devoted to me, which is why I was shocked when he suddenly broke up with me. He seemed perfect, but he wasn't the right one for me.

"By the way, Becky, who is Becken's father? It's impossible for it to be me, right?" he asked.

I looked at him, my heart racing. Should I tell him that he was Becken's father? What if he wanted to take Becken away from me if I didn't choose him?

"Yes, it's impossible for you to be Becken's father, so please don't ask again," I replied, quickly heading into the bathroom.

Phew, that was a close call.