Chapter 98

As soon as we stepped into the house, Mr. Chankimha called for Freen on the phone, discussing recent events. Freen excused herself and slipped into a nearby room for a private chat. Meanwhile, I stationed myself in the kitchen, grabbing a glass of water.

I glanced at my phone, but there was still no news about Saint. Should I reach out to him? What if he was deep into an investigation? I didn't want to bother him unnecessarily.

As I was about to stow my phone away, a video popped up in my messages. My confusion deepened as I clicked to play it. My eyes widened as I watched the footage.

The video portrayed me knocking on Saint's door late at night. It was shot from a single angle, and due to a strange tilt of Saint's head, it appeared as if he were kissing me.

But that wasn't the truth! I vividly remembered that evening. I had been quite tipsy, and Saint had kindly let me crash at his place for the night. Nothing inappropriate had happened. Who on earth would fabricate this?

Quickly, I deleted the video and forwarded the sender's ID to Saint. Anxiety gripped me, and I clutched onto the edge of the table.

Whoever did this was trying to tear us apart – not just Freen and me, but also Freen's relationship with me and others. What was their motive?

Freen entered the kitchen, her brow furrowed. "Hey, you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost." She approached, attempting to check my temperature, but I instinctively stepped back.

My forehead was damp with sweat, and I felt utterly bewildered. I probably looked guilty, but the truth was, I was terrified.

As I started to leave the kitchen, Freen reached out and caught my arm, pulling me into an embrace. For a fleeting moment, I felt safe. Yet, the memory of being followed lingered, reigniting my unease.

"What's eating at you, babe?" Freen inquired, not letting go. "You know you can share your worries with me, right? I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe."

Swallowing hard, I shook my head, a lump forming in my throat. I didn't want to burden her even more. She was already dealing with so much, and I couldn't pile on.

"I'm fine," I managed, my voice quivering. "Just exhausted." I extricated myself from her embrace and made my exit.

Once in my room, I dialed Saint's number. No answer. Just then, a call came in from an unfamiliar ID, but I picked up, hoping it was him.

"Becky..."

"What's going on, Saint? Why would someone send me a video like that? What's the purpose?" I demanded, my concern evident.

"They've got me, Becky. I don't know how, but someone must've tipped them off. That video is their leverage, a threat to keep us out of their business. They're willing to tarnish my reputation, painting me as a home-wrecker." Saint's explanation hit me hard.

"Wait, what? What's our move now?" I pressed.

"The situation has escalated. Freen's father wants her back home, and you're meant to oversee a project there. But I know Freen won't budge without you. I need you to convince her to come back. We can't handle this alone anymore. Once she's here, we'll confront this together," Saint revealed, his voice weighed down.

"Understood," I affirmed.

He ended the call, and I stashed my phone away. This was for Freen's sake. I had to do whatever it took to bring her back home.