Chapter 57

"C-can I hold him?" Mr. Chankimha asked, and Freen stood frozen on the ground.

Becken gestured to Freen to put him down, and after some hesitation, she finally did. He ran towards his grandpa and gave him a tight hug. With a big smile on his face, he asked cheerfully, "How are you, grandpa?"

Freen's father smiled warmly and pulled Becken onto his lap. Looking at Becken with pride, he received another hug from the little one.

"I miss you, grandpa. I'm so happy that you're Daday's dad because she's grown up so well," Becken said, flashing his gummy smile. "She's so diligent. She even washes me and Mom's clothes and cooks breakfast, lunch, and dinner for us. You know, despite growing up with a silver spoon, she's not like most people. I'm so thankful she has you as her parents."

I didn't know where Becken learned those words, but they were so sweet. He kept praising Freen's good deeds and how caring she was for us. It felt like he was saying Freen could have her own family even if it wasn't with Saint. Freen could do better if she pursued what she loved.

"I am so proud of your Daday too," Mrs. Chankimha said, playfully pinching Becken's chubby cheeks. "You know, when she was your age, she loved playing blocks with her playmate. You remember Uncle Saint?"

Becken nodded. "Uncle Saint is a good guy, but my mommy is the kindest person in the whole world." He giggled.

"Really?" Freen's father looked at me and asked. I hesitated and then looked at Freen, who was still squinting at her parents. "Then I guess that's the reason why you're kind too, am I right?"

"Yes," Becken nodded. "Do you want some juice? I'll get snacks for you." Becken went to the kitchen to get some snacks.

Freen approached us, her hands in her pockets. She sighed and ran her fingers through her hair.

"What do you want?" she asked her father.

"Come back home with Becky and your son," he said, standing up. "We're going back to the States in a year. We want to leave everything to you."

"Under my name? I thought you wanted a grandchild to put everything under their name. I don't need your money, Dad. I can earn on my own," Freen refused, avoiding eye contact.

"We're sorry about what we did before. We want you back. You and your family," her mom intervened, reaching for Freen's hands. "Promise, this time we won't interfere in your decision. Come back home. Bring Becky and..."

"My name's Becken," Becken giggled, setting down the biscuits and juice he got from the kitchen. "I'll excuse myself for a while." He lowered his head and entered his room, then closed the door.

"He's such a good boy. How old is he?" Mr. Chankimha asked.

"Turning eight. He's the result of the IVF process you told me would never work," Freen said, rolling her eyes.

"He's studying at the private school near our house, right? That's great. It would be easier if he lives close to the school," Mrs. Chankimha said.

"We're not coming back, Mom. We're happy here. Becky and I are guiding him properly, and he's getting the education he needs," Freen said, firmly refusing.

I stood up and looked at her. "Give them another chance, Freen. They're leaving soon. Are you really going to throw away this opportunity to reconcile with them?" I asked. "They're here to apologize and ready to accept you for who you are. Isn't this what you want?"

Freen sighed and caressed my cheek before nodding. She turned to her parents, biting her lower lip.

"Fine. Just a year. After we get married, we'll go back here." Freen made her decision, and it made me smile.

I mouthed a "thank you" to her, and she nodded and smiled. I knew she wanted to reconcile with them, but her pride was holding her back. Thankfully, her parents accepted Becken immediately because if they hadn't, Freen would surely have closed her doors to them.