Best choice

We have laid out some blankets in the front yard. It's dark out and Peeta said it would be great to watch the stars together.

He also thinks it's a great way to relax.

I lay my head on Peeta's chest and his arms make their way around me keeping me safe.

"I was wondering how long that would take." Even though I'm not looking at him I can tell he's smiling.

"Oh be quiet." I say trying to joke with him and he laughs.

"I've spoke to my mother again." I bring up.

"Have you? how is she?." he asks.

"Well she's really busy I guess.." I trail off. I'm quite angry now. My mother left to go and live her life in district 4 leaving me here by myself well except from Peeta, Haymitch and his geese.

"I know it's easy for you to be angry with her but she must be troubled too."

"Well I guess her leaving me isn't something new." I say finally.

I guess I should be still happy I have a mother. Peeta doesn't have any of his family left.

We let the air fill around us and we listen to the noises of the animals. I snuggle closer into Peetas side.

"We had to take guard on the beach together in the Quarter Quell real or not real?" he asks breaking the silence.

"Real." I say confused to where this was leading.

"You kissed me that night. I mean really kissed me." he looks down to me. "like you meant it?"

I think back to how he loved me and I wished I had loved him just as much a lot sooner.

"You kiss me like that now? real or not real?" He wonders hopefully.

Instead or answering him I decide to show him. I bring my lips to his and kiss him slowly.

One of his arms around right round my back while the other is cupping my cheek.

Soon we run out of breath so sadly we have to pull away. But I wish we didn't stop maybe we can continue later.

I feel my lips lift to a smile. I look over at Peeta and see that he's also wearing the same smile as me.

Then I see a tear drip onto his cheek. My smile drops immediately thinking something's wrong.

"Peeta what's wrong?" I ask sitting up.

He leans up onto his elbow. "Nothing" he shakes his head and quickly wipes away the tear.

"There's nothing wrong I'm just really really happy." he says but he's still crying.

I reach up to wipe away another tear and lean down to give him a peck on the lips.

I snuggle back down to his side. "Me too Peeta. Me too." I answer.

And with that we lay in each other's arms enjoying the feeling of each other all night long.

I know from that moment that saving, choosing and keeping Peeta was probably the best thing I've ever done.