8. The Imprint

"We have a competition tomorrow, more like an inning with another college. You wanna come?"

"Why would I want to keep company with the likes of you? I will most definitely support the other team out of spite." Why was he inviting me to watch him play? We weren't friends.

"You know, you are quite dense when it comes to knowledge about marking."

"What the heck is is that supposed to mean?" Was it always insults with this guy then compassion next? I couldn't read him at all.

"You smelled my scent. What do you think happens when you smell someone's scent after being freshly marked? Or do you just want to walk around with your eyes bright red for everyone to see?"

"Hey I'm not the first person to get marked you idiot! There are also plenty of people who haven't met their fated mates and are doing just fine. What makes my case different?" I never asked him to scent me and neither did that careless act from him mean we were friends now.

"Because you are not with your fated mate post marking. Additionally, you were marked without consent and that's why you're still letting out scent and are moody. You'll keep going into heat at the slightest provocation and I'll not always be around. If Elric had taken you to his place, your ass will be sore beyond repair."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? I won't throw myself to just anyone regardless of my heat..."

"Then why did you throw yourself at me last week and today while calling someone else's name....?"

"Look, are you going to tell me what happened to me or not? I'm already exasperated by my predicament and you beating about the bush is not making anything easier... I just want to know who was responsible for marking me. I had thought it was you but was informed you're the one who found me. I don't even know if I was taken advantage of besides the marking."

"Can't be, your eyes are luminous red and they still reflect on light that's why anyone at his point just gets annoyed looking at you or whenever you glance their way. Your marking is incomplete,  otherwise, your eyes would be dark red, almost burgundy. You look like someone who has just discovered they are in love."

"That's a relief. I should have paid more attention during biology class."

"Then what the heck are you doing biochemical engineering for?"

"Because it was either that or physical education and I hate sports with a passion!"

It was the first time I'd seen Stan laugh wholeheartedly. His laugh was so contagions that I couldn't help joining in. This wasn't that bad after all. I can't believe I was admitting to enjoying this guys company.

"If my teammates heard you declare your hate for sports, they'll spill your guts and burn the rest of you to ashes!"

"Well I'm sure they would share the same  when it comes to biochemistry...though I suppose you're right. I do share the same class with some of your colleagues. Hmm, it must be hard for them too just like me. Most of the time, I wing through the entire lecture."

"Yes, they do complain from time to time about assignment buildup." Stan seemed amused. It felt like the tension we had between each other was gone. Maybe it was time I finally ask him the age old question.

"Who was it? Who were responsible for what happened at the party?"

"You'll have to find that out from the journalism department. All I know is how I found you . We got wind of what had happened through a whistle blower then I informed the rest of my team to stay alert but then, one girl was found in the washroom unconscious. Thankfully she was with her partner who alerted us they were served their drinks at the bar area where I found you sitting alone. Your sister was lucky to not have had any since her mind was on other matters. I tried to dilute the effect of the drug but you had left when I came back with more water. I met your sister making out with Elric outside and told her you were missing. We split up to look for you and by the time I found you, it had been more than an hour. You were sprawled on the floor in the middle of the street in a lonely alley. There was no one around and the police found no cameras either. You were unconscious but I already knew what had happened from the scent you had on you...it smelled filthy, as if there had been more than one person's scent mixed with yours....and I gave you my jacket to cover up that scent after which I called for an ambulance . By the time we'd reached the hospital the news had already spread and despite your closed eyes, your eyes still shone luminous red through your closed lids. Within minutes the news had spread everywhere like wildfire that you were marked.

To answer your question, if I had marked you, you'd be I love with me and imprinted me but looking at your eye colour, you were probably marked by a number of people and you glanced at them as your eyes changed colour. You must have imprinted on them multiple times too that's why there were fighting over you in prison. However, seeing that none of them were your fated mates, your eyes won't change colour anytime soon to dark red. It will only grow brighter and brighter ..."

"I'm sure there are medical ways to get rid of this..."

"Indeed there are. They could surgically laser your eyes, but that will take months with adverse complications as you grow older."

"Then what else I'm I supposed to do? I hardly believe in fated mates let alone love. I had sworn to myself to never love again."

"For a biochemist, you are quite dumb. The other alternative is definitely out of the question however, I'm sure if you think well enough, you'll understand why I would never agree to it even if you forced me at gunpoint."

"You don't mean...pair up with someone?"

"Exactly. Releasing my scent is exhausting. I did it today and look at how it turned out. I became very hungry I could eat a horse. Besides, we both know once marked you can't mark another or be marked again...but then, you weren't marked properly. If they'd had had sex with you, the marking would have been complete and you'd become their slave. You know that right?"

I couldn't speak. I was lost with words. He'd saved my life and all I did was scoff him off. Maybe I was the one being unappreciative here. How many times must I apologize to him? I felt like I owed him a huge debt. Still, I had to get rid of this marking. Maybe I'd just settle for my sister's suggestion and wear contact lenses for the rest of my life. This is what I had wanted after all...to live alone, loving only myself and no other.

"Look you don't need to worry. They seemed inexperienced too and scared, I heard them running away when I found you. Thankfully, they were apprehended by the police. You imprinting on them has made it impossible to find who they were working with since they were not part of the school. However, they are looking for a way to get rid of the imprint since it's weak. It will take some time but soon enough, the police will find out who was behind it.

I just have one question though. Who did you piss off that they hated you so much to this extent? Spiking drinks was a silly prank, yet, you were the only one taken outside campus."

I couldn't think of anyone. I had lived a solitude life, unbothered by other people and kept to my business.  My past relationships ending had been ugly but I hadn't kept in touch with any of my exes. I couldn't say I had any friends neither did I have enemies. But Stan was right. It seemed someone was out to get me and they could strike again too.

"I don't know."