110. Play To Win

"That's not how you eat that. I showed you yesterday." Turning to look at his grandmother, Niel said. "Grandma, I thought you said he likes it."

"Oh, he did alright. That's all he ate after you left hehe!"

"Just start off with the soft part. If you bite the entire thing like that it's going to be sour and squint your eyes the way you are doing. Either way it takes getting used to these wild fruits but they are very healthy." Niel reached for Elric's corner of the mouth to remove a residual smear, an act that sent blood rushing to Elric's face.

"Oh my word, he is hopeless!" Niel's grandfather laughed.

"Hopeless indeed." His grandmother agreed, laughing along with her partner.

"What are you two..." Suddenly, Niel shot his fated an acussing stare after perceiving his scent. "Elric!"

"Leave him alone Nelnel, it's fine. Let the poor boy be. He has been working hard to control his scent since you left to the city again. What can he do if he can't help releasing some whenever you are around him?"

"But still... he should..." Niel stopped when he noticed Elric's grin. 'He never takes anything seriously, why bother?'

"He must really love you a lot Nelnel. Let him be his comfortable self around us. We don't mind."

"Poor guy has been letting out scent the moment you began sharing that fruit with him. It's only now you've realised? Being fated and perceiving a partner's scent this late is a downer at times like this my dear don't you think? Nelnel should hve been able to perceive his fated's scent long ago."

"Indeed." Standing up, Niel's grandfather said. "You two probably need some time alone to catch up. Balance your scents out like normal people do without having to feel embarrassed about it."

"I'm not embarrassed, I'm just being respectful..."

"Stop making a big deal out of everything. We are not as picky as your parents!" Niel's grandfather scolded as he knocked his grandson's head using his knuckles.

"Grandpa, that really hurts!" Niel complained, flinched in pain as Elric and Niel's grandmother laughed.

"Do you have any idea how hard it is to meet your fated these days? We used to think it was hard in our time but things have changed from bad to worse. We had a lot of chat with Elric when you were away and to think you kept ignoring him whenever he asked you to share your scent with him, my, you make us look bad Nelnel."

"It wasn't like that!"

"We know everything. I'm glad your fated opened up to us. All I can say is it's way past you moving on from Mijin. "

"Yes Nelnel. You're making your fated suffer."

"Wait...I never meant it to come out that way..." Elric jumped in defence to Niel.

"Don't make excuses for him. Nelnel is just being sturbbon because he cared a lot for Mijin but she wasn't meant for him. Honestly, I like you better. You are rich."

"Yes, and you'll take care of our grandson so he won't have to be burdened by us by working so hard..."

"Hey...!" Niel exclaimed.

"Aw shut up. It's okay to ask for help Nelnel. Your partner is offering it but you are too proud and keep rejecting it. How do you think that makes him feel?"

"Grandma....this is between us..."

"I know, I know. But if you make your fated upset, you'll have to answer to us. You told us to treat him like family and as such, we will." Looking at his pair, Niel's grandmother probed, "Lets give them some alone time."