11. When You Look At Me

I finally made it to the support group and was surprised to find a larger group than I had anticipated. Apparently, the group was also open to those unaffected by the incident that left me marked and I felt more irritated when everyone clapped as soon as they set their eyes on me. Surprisingly, not a single person tried to avoid me this time, in fact they wanted to sit close to me and were unashamed of glaring at my eyes even if i caught them staring.

I honestly wouldn't have come here if the student council hadn't forced me to pay a visit to the school's welfare department, who later pushed me to attend ten sessions at most if I wanted to graduate.

Scanning around, the only person I recognized was Mora who waved back at me acknowledging my presence. Either way, if I stuck around, after the ten sessions I might be able to meet someone who'd be crazy enough to pair with me.

After listening in for a couple of minutes, I felt more relaxed. Apparently there was already an existing ongoing fundraising to support foundations for victims like myself who'd been marked without consent, or had been fully marked through intercourse and were left suffering years of long term heat cycles. 

I cringed at the thought that that could be my fate some day and at this point, within a few months, I could father a child with anyone who my spiritual essence accepted their scent. 

To think I'd always been the one who wanted to mark my pair or fated mate, here I was thinking of becoming pregnant after my womb fully matured in a few months. 

After a few minutes of sitting in, I could feel the hair at the back of my neck rise up as if someone had brushed their hand on them.

"Senior!" 

I raised my head to see  Mora burrowing her way in the immerse crowd towards me. Had I been that lost in thought to not have noticed more people sitting around me?

"Mora be careful!" I smiled at her effort to reach me and stood up to extend my hand to towards her.

"I wish you told me you were coming, I would have booked a larger auditorium. Your presence here seems to have brought a larger crowd in than other days."

"Really? I wouldn't have known since this is my first time, and please just call me Yeon. Calling me senior makes me feel so old."

We both laughed as she squeezed next to me to share my seat. She appeared ecstatic that I actually showed up and we sat next to each other the remaining time until the session was over. I can't for sure say I payed attention. All I could remember was the speaker informing anyone who wished to join the next meeting would be informed via a text message.

"Have you registered yet? I'd be happy to do it for you otherwise you'll not get a message regarding the new venue and the timings."

"Actually I lost my phone a couple of days ago... I-I haven't found time to replace it yet." I lied.

"How can you stay without a phone senior? How do you keep in touch with your friends? Especially now?"

"Well, I don't have a lot of friends. Just me and my sister so far."

"Tell your boyfriend to buy it for you."

"Boyfriend? Which boyfriend?"

"Oh now stop acting all innocent! Everyone knows you and the hot eye candy Stan are dating. I thought I'd have a chance with you but after how he swooped you up during your heat, the rest of us who've been having their eyes on you took a thousand steps back."

"What the heck are you talking about?" Me and Stan in a relationship? The mare thought of him acting affectionate towards me repulsed me to the core. Come to think of it, Niel had asked me the same question. Maybe this fool of a man was going about telling everyone we were dating! 

"Do you live in a hole? Every student in this institution and outside wishes to be in your position...though some of us wish to be in Stan's too. Since your marking, a lot of us are envious of your eyes, not to mention the amazing scent you keep emitting."

"Wait wait wait...hold on! You lost me at the boyfriend part. Stan and I aren't dating. We hate each other's guts and secondly, people actually like me? Me? The loner! The stoic misfit...?"

"What are you talking about? Is that how you see yourself?"

"Of course! I'm selfish with myself! That's why I don't date!"

Mora burst into laughter, as it what I'd been saying was gibberish. "You almost had me there senior... It's great that you're funny too. But I'll keep what you said in mind. If Stan slips up and you end up breaking up with him, a lot of us will hate him for it. He is such a hero right now, dating you even after you had been marked. He must be a really great guy to agree pairing up with you. I sure hope he is your fated mate."

"He has a girlfriend Mora and might I add he doesn't date guys."

"I thought they broke up because he chose you...well, that is the story out there."

"Nope. They are still together."

"So he is playing her with you?"

"What the...No!"

"Senior! This is much juicer than I had thought! It's like a tag of war! He doesn't date guys but couldn't help being charmed by you. On the other hand, he is conflicted with wanting to be with a girl since he likes girls."

Suddenly I remembered why I kept no friends. This girl seemed convinced I was in a relationship with that dimwit despite my efforts to clarify the ridiculous rumors. Denying further would just prove how right she is and I was already feeling exhausted trying to explain myself.

Good thing people had been dispersing the auditorium and there was a lot of noise and eco I doubt anyone heard us. Maybe Mora's coming to sit next to me had proved profitable. I could use this chance to get close to some of her friends and find anyone who wanted to pair with me...after all, she seemed convinced there were actual human beings that found me likable.

"What are you doing now? If you're free, maybe you can help me window-shop for a new phone. I still haven't made up my mind on which brand to upgrade to."

"I thought you were meeting him?" Mora gestured with her eyes and I turned behind only to notice Stan sitting at the furthest row in the auditorium behind me. He wasn't alone though. There were a couple of his usual fans surrounding him, and some of his teammates. We looked eyes but he gave out no reaction.

"He seems grumpy today so I'll meet him later." I didn't want to give out unnecessary information to Mora. Besides, I could care less why he was moody. It had nothing to do with me.

"Are you sure you two didn't fight? He was horrible last week during the innings until the coach benched him towards the end of the game."

"Let's just get out of here." I stood up. He had been here the entire time...? No wonder my neck felt itchy. He probably had been staring at me the way he was right now.

"Yes, let's head out senior. I would be jealous too if I saw my boyfriend surrounded by people throwing themselves at him."