17. Awakening Of Fated Mates

Going by car seemed like a great idea, and it did allow me to escape from the crowd build up unnoticed. However, there was a lot of noise as well that I doubted anyone could hear me call out the campus loner's name. Therefore, I decided to park somewhere for a while and figure out where this bastard could be.

Brushing my hair from my forehead, it then hit me that there were two ways to get into this neighbourhood and only one way out, which had all been blocked by the police. If someone had taken the campus loner, then they wouldn't have gone far. He had to be close by, therefore, the best alternative was to search him on foot.

After about twenty minutes of calling out his name, I almost gave up on this futile search. Just then, I felt a cold chill ran down my spine. This side of the neighbourhood was deserted from a while back and very few people, if none, had lived here. Apparently, there had been rumours of an unstable underground sewage drain which made this area considered unsafe for human settlement.

Turning back, I concluded there was no way anyone would be walking here at this time of the night, well, except me.

"Hey, what took you so long? The other guys are fighting over him!"

Someone shouted from behind, and I turned around but couldn't make out his face as it was quite dark. This area wasn't very well lit either.

I didn't understand what he meant, or maybe he must be confusing me with someone else. I'll just ask him if he saw a drunkard pass by or something... But wait, how do I even begin to describe whom I was looking for in the first place, and was he alone or with anyone else?

"We were wondering why we couldn't get in touch with you, but it's great you've showed yourself finally for the first time. The other guys will be proud you caught up to us, though, I highly doubt they are in the mood for talking now. The three of them must be already marking that college cutie." This guy kept on talking, patting my shoulder with a look of satisfaction on his face. I had no idea why I followed him, but somehow, I felt compelled to not refuse him once he mentioned a college student. It could be Yeon and this guy and his accomplices must be working together therefore, I might be getting myself in trouble.

Lonely street, flickering lights... I should have known this was a great hideout for gangs to brood.

"You don't say much, do you? Let's see if you'll be able to resist the scent coming out of our newest catch! He's the best I've ever bought so far. You're great at selection, despite the challenging circumstances we faced today. I recommend being cautious in future when it comes to location. This town is quite small, and the police are close by too..."

I couldn't tell what came over me. There was a sudden enormous amount of energy leaving my body that I was unable to perceive if I was feeling scared, aroused or threatened. The guy who'd been walking beside me was on the floor, whimpering, as if he'd been overpowered by an invincible force. Within seconds, my legs failed me and I felt dizzy... It became unbearable to stand.

"Your scent....it's....suffocating...stop..."

What? I wasn't letting out scent! What was this guy talking about?

"Where is that scent coming from?" I asked him as I struggled to get on my feet. That scent couldn't have been mine. It was excitingly pungent, more rosy....

It smelled like heat!

"Then...it has to be him...those bastards! I told them not to stare at his eyes during the marking." The guy said, as he tried to stand up, using me as his support.

"We have....to get out of here, boss....the police will soon start trailing that scent...and even if we are to take him with us, his scent will lead them right to us..."

I was sure I had smelled that scent before, only that this time it was stronger, and much more lustful.

Yeon...! It had to be him, and this was the same scent I felt at the bar when I'd got close to him and carried him. He'd been too drunk to realize his scent sipping out, while I'd been stupid to think he had a weird choice of cologne.

"Suit yourself... I have a family to answer to if I get home smelling like I'd just had sex." The guy said as he staggered away, surprised that I still wanted to stick around.

Now was my chance! I had no time to think of that uncomfortable encounter as my instinct followed the scent to where it felt stronger and there he was, sprawled on the floor.

"Niel..."

He was probably calling out to someone he had a crush on. I did my best to avoid looking at his eyes as I took off my jacket and covered him with it. I could smell other scents on him, and it made me extremely nauseous.

Likewise, I'd never considered sharing my scent with another. It felt too personal and as I reached to cover his shoulder, I noticed the bite marks on his neck and a wave of sadness befell me that I found my eyes drifting to look at his sad face.

"I want you..." He whispered so lustfully, and I found myself drawn towards him instinctively. He was pulling me, his eyes trapping mine that in a split second, I saw exactly what was going through his mind. I wanted to kiss him, bury myself in him and reach the deepest corners within him.

I wanted to make love to him right now!

My lips descended on him, taking his tongue, and a soft wave engulfed the two of us. He belonged to me and I liked it yet, lingering scents kept pulling me back. He'd been marked multiple times by someone else, and their residual scent felt like they were tearing us apart.

Pulling away from his lips, I bit everywhere he'd been bitten by those guys who'd tried to take advantage of him. I wanted to cover their scent with mine, only having my scent on him.

I wanted to possess the campus loner!

I felt him quiver with every bite and after my fifth bite on his shoulder, I lifted my head to look up at him and saw him slowly shutting his luminous red eyes, after which a whisper escape his lips.

It'd been the name he'd whispered earlier.

Suddenly, I snapped back to reality once his eyes were completely shut, ending our trance. The feeling of being engulfed by something heavy, something lustful was no more, and what I'd just done dawned on me.

The realization that I'd been holding him in my arms affectionately confirmed I'd just experienced an imprint, at least the last fractions of it. My hands felt heavy, and I let him fall on the floor.

"What have I done?" I had to call for help!

Looking around, it was only the two of us around. This guy's scent would practically send anyone away with how strong it was yet somehow, it drew me to him. Had I been that backed up enough to act perverted towards a defenseless guy?

A guy!

Soon enough, an ambulance arrived minutes from calling for it and afterwards, the two of us were rushed to the hospital, Yeon unconscious on a stretcher, still wearing a sad face. I glanced at him one more time before we parted to different rooms. His eyes were still emitting bits of red rays through his closed lids.

"Don't worry. Your mate will be alright. His marking seems incomplete and as per what you briefed us, his imprint on you and anyone else should wear off soon enough."

What was this nurse talking about? "Mate? We go to the same school, but we are not..."

"Wow, lucky you to have met him just in time and save his life as well."

She seemed enthusiastic. "I'm sorry, but I do not understand you..."

"Haven't you noticed your newest ability to manipulate scents? You were able to calm him down using only your scent, and I'm sure you're aware only fated mates are able to do that. Right now, both of your scents are in synch with each other, your spiritual essence intertwined as it should for fated mates."

"Fated...mates?" There is no way this was true! Besides, I've always used two of my scents though, I never tried it on anyone that intimately before.

"Of course. His heat cycle would have continued until the marking was complete however, feeling his pain as yours, you put him to sleep. You saved his life, kiddo."