Chapter 89: 1552 Haunted House (21)

In the room, Ren Ze sat at the table watching Xie Chi reapply the medicine and asked, "Which dish on the table do you think is the variant of the iron plate grilled turtle?"

Ren Ze realized Xie Chi's intention behind eating all the dishes and was a bit curious. Lu Wen also looked over. Xie Chi didn't raise his eyes. "Boiled crabs."

"You're so sure?" Ren was surprised.

"The cooking behind the iron plate turtle is to put the cleaned live turtle into the water and boil it. The water temperature will gradually rise and the turtle will struggle to drink the soup because of the heat. The soup with the seasoning will naturally enter its stomach. Finally, there is soup inside and outside the body and the meat is very delicious."

"Fuck." Ren Ze stared. "I thought the iron plate turtle was cooked on an iron plate. Now that you said this, I understand why it must be the boiled crab."

It was because dead crabs were poisonous so they were alive when they were cooked.

The boiled crabs dish involved putting cleaned live crabs into the water to boil. The crabs didn't respond at first. Then as the water temperature rose, the crabs started to struggle. At this time, they had to cover the pot tightly to prevent the crab claws from opening the lid.

During the cooking process, people on the side could clearly hear the crab claws scratching frantically against the edge of the pot. The scratching noise became smaller and smaller until it finally died down. This meant the crabs were cooked and they had turned an alluring red colour.

Iron plate turtle and boiled crab had the same effect.

Lu Wen spoke sincerely. "I hadn't realized it when eating it before but now I feel it is too cruel. Why didn't I react at all before?"

"It is normal." Xie Chi finished bandaging himself and there was no extra expression on his face. "A human's life is based on the death of lower creatures. Your living means that countless chickens, ducks and fish have sacrificed their lives for you. To a certain extent, all of us are unclean. We are all predators and having mercy is useless because survival itself is cruel."

Lu Wen suggested, "Then I will become a vegetarian..."

Xie Chi smiled at him. "Are fruits and vegetables not life?"

Lu Wen suddenly realized it and felt complicated.

"Human evolution so far has stripped away most of the harmful compassion. At most, we will see the light at a certain moment. For example, if you see a butcher killing a pig in a slaughterhouse then you are shocked and sad, but that's it. You will forget it later. We won't give up eating pork because of a moment's pity. We are all self-deceiving creatures."

Ren Ze looked at Xie Chi in shock, thinking that a beast-like heart lay under this person's skin. "You mean, you don't spurn those who eat human meat and game..."

His heart was cold and he had the impulse to stay away from Xie Chi.

Xie Chi was stunned before laughing blankly. "That's wrong. You shouldn't confuse things. There is a bottom line that can't be touched. I'm talking about those who eat beasts, not humans. That matter naturally has to be discussed separately. I'm just referring to general things like chicken, duck, geese and fish. Showing respect to ingredients is the most basic, decent thing. Your life is based on their death. Of course, you must cook them in a decent way. It isn't shameful to kill the weak to live but it is shameful to abuse or humiliate the weak in order to live."

"This movie is telling us that if you abuse or humiliate the weak, you will be retaliated against by the weak. People who eat the prey will eventually become prey."