68

ESME POV

I woke up, the sun was shining through the window. I rolled over slowly and felt Justin, I smiled as I wrapped my arm around him and pulled myself closer to him. I found his hand and I grabbed it, rubbing my thumb softly side to side.

"Thank you," I whispered, "I know I haven't gotten the chance to thank you properly but really, thank you for coming for me and not just letting them take me." He rolled over to face me. "Oh I'm sorry," I shook my head, "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"I was already getting there," he smiled, "don't thank me though, when I realized you were gone, the hunt was on and mark my words, if anything like that ever happens again, I'll do the same thing." I smiled and shook my head. "What?" he asked, "I'm serious. I won't ever just let you go, I'm with you, whether you like it or not." I chuckled and looked back at him.

Kiss him.

Tell him you love him.

No. It isn't like that.

Yes, it is. You know it is.

I stood up and walked to the bathroom, the battle in my head continued. After I finished I washed my hands and walked back out. Justin was no longer in the room. I walked to the door, peeking around it, slowly walking down the hall and looking over the balcony. Grace sat on the couch and colored in her coloring book, Justin was walking around in the kitchen. I tiptoed down the stairs and turned the corner, he sat at the table. His fists balled around his ears. The the skin on his face that I could see was bright red, inflamed.

"Justin?" I slowly stepped towards him.

He shoved his hand out, his palm facing me, "stop. Don't- don't come near me."

"Okay," I stood still, "I'll stand here. What's going on?"

He cried out, squeezing his ears harder. He stood and ran out the front door. I stood for a second unsure of what I should do before taking off after him. I followed his scent, taking me straight to a metal rod in the ground.

Shit.

The frequency stakes. I should have known.

"Justin!" I yelled out, "Justin stop!" I took off after him, finding another stake, and another and another.

There you are. I started to catch up to him, swinging branch to branch. I saw the field we fought in up ahead and knew they were back but they were back for him.

I saw them piling from their vehicles as they heard the stakes we held in his hands.

We were approaching the tree line fast and he was still full speed ahead, I was struggling. "Come on," I grunted, "Come on!" I dove down and darted to the right, wrapping my arms around him mid flight. The two of us flew into a tree and hit the ground.

"He should be here by now!" I heard one of them yell.

"Awwehhh shut up will ya!" The other snapped, "he can hear you. He will come. They can't resist."

I slowly rolled over, everything around me slightly fuzzy. Justin was slowly starting to move.

I have to get to him before he get up. I have to.

I growled as I rolled over and crawled on top of him. I could tell he was still somewhat disoriented.

"Hey try to fight it okay?" I firmly pressed my hands against his ears. He looked up at me and I pressed my forehead to his, "Focus on me. Hold onto me. It's okay, you won't hurt me." I felt his arms wrap around my back and his nails gripped my skin tightly. His body trembled as I tried to block the sound out. "We have to get out of here," I nodded, "we have to run."