Precious Lesson

(DAYU)

"In all my life, as a Queen in Waiting, as the Queen and now as the Queen Dowager, have I ever felt humiliated like this..." Queen Dowager Chun fan herself furiously even though the aircondintionings in the King's study room are in full blast.

"Mother," the King gave the Queen Dowager a consoling pat on her hand.

"Under the table! My King, he was under the table at Qing's feet! Between the Crown Prince's legs!"

I winced and bow down my head more. I wish for the ground under my feet to open up and swallow me.

"I think the most offensive thing is him snoring," Qing interjected.

We all look at him in shock.

Is he insane?! They are already disappointed and mad, why is he fanning the flame?

"Crown Prince!" the Queen gave Qing a reprimanding look as we stood in front of the three of them. They are sitting on the sofa setting in the King's study while Qing, Lao and I stood like behaved boys on the side.

"It is my fault..." Lao said.

"Please Lao," the King held up a palm to stop him. "You are the least to blame in this...debacle." It took the King some time to put a name on the embarassing experience. "Really, my Crown Prince, how can you hide your fiance like that..."

"It's my fault," I volunteered myself readily. "I was..."

"I am sorry, Father." Qing kneeled and bow down in front of his family. Almost kissing the floor. Me and the Queen whimper at his gesture. "The fault is all mine,"

"Good that you know," the King sighed and look at me. "As the Consort in Waiting, this is an unacceptable behavior from you, Jian Yu. This must not happen again."

Qing stood up. "It will not happen again. I assure you all of that..."

I don't know what to say. Qing bowed down for me. He apologized for my mistake. I am still in shock. He...the Crown Prince...he...

"I am truly sorry," I said faintly, a deep shame filling my heart and mind.

"I sure hope so," the Queen Dowager stood up, and so are the King and Queen. "This should never be repeated again, ever. And to think it all happened in front of the Counsel Members," she fanned herself furiously again. "How will we face them now? What could they be possibly thinking about their future Consort of the King? Your reputation, in this Palace, is everything. I hope you would be aware of that, Jian Yu." the old Queen look at the current Queen.

"That will be our next lesson, Mother." The Queen said before giving me a warning glance.

The Queen Dowager harrumped and huffed while walking to go out of the study room. Helped by the King.

The Queen stopped in front of me, "Follow me so we can start your lesson in virtues and rules. And how to act accordingly to your position," she said those words with warning in her tone.

"Mother, can I talk to Dayu first then I will send him to you." Qing requested.

"Don't take too long, my Prince." The Queen gave me one last meaningful look before walking out of the room. Leaving the three of us.

I look down the carpeted floor. I couldn't, for the life of me, meet Qing's eyes.

All of this is my fault, of course.