Gift

(DAYU)

A gift for me. What could it be?

A poisoned apple? A weaving wheel with a poisoned needle? A contract to take my voice? A new stepmother? An isolated tower without any way out?

Oh...those are not part of this story? Okay. Those are different princesses. Not me. Got it.

I smiled, two can play this smiling game. "A gift. I cannot wait. The last time someone gave me an invaluable gift was when Qing gave me my ring..." I held on to Qing's arm while displaying the ring on my left hand.

Petty I know, but this woman could be the one who wanted me and my Prince to die so...I will take even a petty revenge. Any revenge at all, as long as I don't stoop low on her level.

You know, killing people...

I am the Consort. I have a crown in my head. Well, an imaginary crown but...still, I will be the one who will stand beside Qing when we get married.

I sighed when I see the other guests on the gala are starting to give us their attentions. Great, another issue by the Royal Family. Like an almost death in one of their unfinished hotel is not enough. We are going to give them more stories to talk about tomorrow.

But that will all depend if we make scenes here. I can just picture the Queen's face telling me how to handle tension filled scenes.

"Laugh," she said. "Tension decreases if someone is laughing. You laugh, even if you can't find anything funny about your current situation. Laugh it off but still be gracious. Your poise is everything. Don't go looking for trouble now, you are the Consort, there is dignity in your position. Be dignified and laugh..."

Nice advice.

So I laugh. Everyone there look at me in surprise. Chong gave me a pained look like he is asking "why are you being weird again?". I ignored him and laugh again and smile at Shunu. "I would appreciate any gifts. I love presents, actually. It shows people's generosity and in a gala like this, I think we should encourage generosity. What do you think, my Prince?" I look up at Qing.

"Of course," his hand around my waist tightened a bit. I nodded at him then turn my eyes back to Shunu. "I can't wait to see what you have for me,"

Shunu look behind her and a uniformed middle aged guy step forward to hand her a rectangular package in brown paper. She got it and handed it to me.

I took it graciously. "You don't mind if I just peel the paper or should I open this carefully," I feel the package, it's like a frame something. Shunu is an artist, maybe she gifted me a photo.

"It's okay...I hope you will like it." Shunu gesture for me to do what I want.

I tear off the brown paper and gasped when I saw a painting in a frame. Everyone there also gasped or their breathes also hitched like mine does..

It's a portrait of Qing. It shows the upper half of his body, naked. His broad shoulder, torso, slim waist. His sculpted like abs, his jaw line, his face...

Shunu captured him perfectly. It shows Qing while almost turning away. But there is a teasing glint in his eyes.

A scene. This picture is a scene. Or a memory for Shunu. I don't have to see the whole thing to know that in her memory, Qing is fully naked. Maybe after they made love one time. He was teasing her. And she captured him in her memory and paint him.