What They Are

(LAO)

When we were eight years old, I married Qing and Dayu. I watched them kiss. And I felt, happy.

In my eight year old mind, I thought, if my two friends will get married someday, that will be the most awesome thing.

Dayu will become a Princess. Qing's Princess. Then they will be King and Queen.

Then I will be their butler and will serve them. And the three of us will be together. Forever.

I was happy thinking like that.

But the "snuffbox" incident happened. Dayu left and I was regulated to stay with Qing. I can still remember the words Dayu told me when he went back to the Palace after his grandfather died. As I hugged him, he whispered to me...

"Look out for Qing. You have to do that on your own now, Lao. I'm sorry..."

That time, I thought, I want to be with Dayu. I like Dayu more than I like Qing. The Prince is bossy.

But I stayed. Because Qing needs me. I saw it, the change that happened to him when Dayu left.

My Prince became guarded. He never let anyone get close to him again. As close as me and Dayu. He will have other friends and acquaintances but they will never know him as I know him.

The side he showed to me. I know he will only show it to another person.

Dayu...

And when Dayu came back. Just three weeks ago...I am seeing my old Prince back.

More laid back. More relaxed. More fun. 

More unguarded.

I thought it was because he missed Dayu. I miss Dayu too. But I think Qing feels something for Dayu that I am not feeling.

Then everything became clear that night we watched a movie together. When Dayu almost got into an accident. When Dayu almost died.

When we almost lost Dayu again.

I have only seen Qing that angry or that scared and panicked in one other occasion.

The day Dayu walked away from us fifteen years ago.

Now, I look at my two friends who blushed and smiled like idiots when they look at each other.

I am having mixed feelings.

"Did you guys kissed?!"

Did they kissed? Is that why they look like love drunk people?

Are they...have they...fallen for each other? For real?

"No!" Dayu blushes some more he is close to looking like ripe tomatoes. Adorable but really...

"We didn't kiss," Qing crossed his legs and acted nonchalantly. Like he is not affected. He is not fooling me.

"Okay. So what happened?" I pointed at my Prince. "You climbed the balcony, good job Spiderman but don't do it again, and then what?" I look at Dayu. Maybe he can tell me what happened without all the attitude Qing have.