Inquiries

(LAO)

48 hours since the kidnapping
48 hours before the wedding

Royal Hotel, Beijing. 9 am

I woke up in an unfamiliar room. I was disoriented for a bit but then memories started coming back to me. I turn around to see Chong sleeping beside me.

He had taken off the bandages in his head. And after eight hours of driving, talking to people, following the money trail...we gathered some clues and we are ready to report back to Qing.

But we finished around four in the morning so Chong decided that it will be better if we will sleep for at least a few hours before we call Qing.

I stared at Chong. He is intimidating. I don't have to use coercion of any kind to get the information I want. One look at the big grim looking companion of mine made people talk to us readily.

Chong is good looking though. With that wavy jet black hair, chiseled jaws and slanting eyes. He is a handsome hard looking man. Someone you don't want to mess up with not because he is too scary but because you know he is serious.

A "If I say I will hurt you, I will really hurt you" kind of guy.

I know we are flirting. Well, he is flirting with me. But I don't really know how to react to that. All my reactions are based on the situation and my mood at that exact moment he is flirting with me.

Sometimes, I am okay with it. I go with the flow. I am even tempted to flirt back. But there was also times when I feel concious and cautious. I am not gay. I don't even consider myself a bisexual or bicurious. But Chong...he has this charm that pulled me. I don't know.

I had girlfriends before. Back in the University. But I've known early on, that the career I wanted, that being the Aide of the King and the Royal Manager is not ideal for a man who wants relationship.

My Uncle, a gay man, is quite happy with his life. He is meeting a man, a corporate shark, twice a month for a rendevouz. Uncle said they are not committed to each other and not in love. They are not even exclusive.

"I am tied up and married to the Royal Family, Lao. Are you sure you want this kind of life?"

Yes, was my answer to my Uncle. That is why I rejected Baozang's affection for me. Qing didn't say anything about it except for a few words...

"I wouldn't have minded, Lao. Having you as a brother in law. But it will be up to you. As long as you are close to me, I will take you as my ally in anyway I can,"

I don't want to be part of the Royal Family. I want to be in the background. Orchestrating meetings. Checking the preparations. Checking speeches. Giving my approval. I want to be like my Uncle. He is like a General in a war council and the head of every departments are his Captains and Sergeants.

And every personnel in the Palace is his soldier.

I want to be like my Uncle.

So I am not sure if I am fit to be in a relationship. Whether to a gay man or a straight woman. All I know is that as long as it's only harmless flirting, I can deal with Chong.