Virgin

(QING)

Lao and I burned the contract first. That was number one on our agenda. Erase the physical evidence of the deal we had with Dayu.

"The biggest problem is where Dayu could live. Somewhere that cannot be connected to the Royal Family." Lao said gravely as we watch the papers burn.

Yes, that is the foremost thing on my mind also. Here in the Palace, I can be assured that Dayu is safe. Outside...I don't trust the outside World when it comes to Dayu's safety.

"That was a close call by the way. Dayu really is smart. Thinking of the complicated succession process if you were ever evicted from your position. But Qing..."

"I know," I saw the worry on Lao's face. We almost pulled Baozang down with us. "I forgot my sister. I almost ruin her life by being careless. Good thing Dayu put every lessons he had learn to save me and my crown. But..."

"But we should never put him in that position again. Where he had to save our asses." Lao said.

I nodded.

Lao smiled, "Does it feel good?"

"What?" I grinned back at him. Of course I know what he is asking.

"To have someone defend you and your crown that badly. Dayu will make a wonderful Consort for you, my Prince. He will be an asset, a strong alliance, a true partner..."

"Yes. It felt good Lao,"

For a long time, I envied my father for having someone like my mother on his side. Totally devoted. Supportive. And someone my father relied heavily. Someone strong to stand by his side.

Shunu will never be like my mother. She will always need protection and sheltering.

"She will never fit the Queen role," Lao said as he feeds more paper on the fire.

"Dayu would..." I said.

"Yes," Lao agreed. "He learns fast, he used what he knew wisely and he supports you. We had put him in too many stressful situations, Qing, so far he is surpassing every expectations. But we all know everyone has a breaking point."

I know that. That is why I have to finish this lie business and reclaim Dayu. I want him by my side as my Consort. With Dayu beside me, I will have a strong reign as King and a happy private married life with him.

I watch as the last paper turn to black ash. I pour water on the dry bird bath in the garden where we burn the papers. "Can you clean this? Take all the black soot and fill it with clean water again?" I asked Lao.

"Of course, wait!" He stopped me. "Where are you going?" He frowned at me suspiciously.

"I'm gonna do you a favor. I will use the ladder you placed beside Dayu's balcony. I should not waste your efforts, right?" I pat his back before leaving.

"My Prince! Wang Qing!" Lao called after me but I just grinned at him and wave.

I walked until I got under Dayu's balcony. Then I climb the ladder Lao kindly placed there.

"Dayu! Dayu!" I whisper called his name. "Daaaayuuuu...."

The balcony door opened and from inside the room out came Dayu. He looks ready to sleep wearing a shirt and striped pajama bottom.