You/Kara Danvers - Black Mercy

AN: Sorry about the image, I got lazy and didn't want to crop it properly

You were excited to surprise Kara by coming home earlier. Working with Lena in her latest project made it difficult for you to arrive on time for dinner. To make the day special you had even stopped by to pick up her favorite take out and dessert so neither of you would have to cook after a long day. Well primarily you since Kara was and still is a terrible cook.

"Hmm, looks like she's still not home."

You tell yourself when you arrive. Pulling out your phone, you send her a quick text message telling her that you had picked up dinner and that you were waiting for her.

While waiting for her, you start getting the table when you suddenly hear something behind you. You turn around to see what it was but there's nothing behind you. You shrug it off and continue with the table. Your gut suddenly tells you to turn around and that's when you spot what was making the noise. You don't even have a chance to run away before it attacks.

X

Kara had just come back from her latest mission when she spots your message. She can't help but smile at the news. It had been far too long since either of you had eaten dinner together. She wasn't upset about it, knowing that it was temporary but it still sucked.

"Alex, I'm heading out. (y/n)'s out of work."

"Already? That's a surprise. I'm assuming that you want the night off?" Kara quickly nods, making Alex smile. "Alright. I'll call you if we need anything. Enjoy your night."

"I will!"

Kara yells as she flies off.

X

Something felt off when Kara landed.

"(y/n), I'm home."

There's no reply, making Kara worry. She steps further into the apartment only to find you on the floor with something strapped onto your chest.

"No, no, no. Not this again!"

She carries you in her arms and rushes to the DEO, already dialing Alex on the way to let her know about the situation.

"Kara? What's going on?"

"It's (y/n), she got attacked by a black mercy! Her pulse is really low, Alex. I...I..."

"Take a deep breath, Kara. I'm already getting everything ready. She's going to be okay."

X

When Kara arrived, J'onn, Lena and Alex had already set up everything for you. She gently lays you down for Alex and Lena to give you oxygen and place monitors on you.

"You need to be careful, Kara. We don't know what kind of hallucination she's living in."

"I might have an idea. I'll be careful. Don't you dare pull me out for any reason. I'm not coming back until she wakes up."

"But Kara, you could..."

"I don't care, Alex. This is all my fault. The black mercy was probably meant for me. I'm getting her out of there."

Alex looks to Lena and J'onn for help but they don't say anything. They knew that there wasn't anything they could do to make Kara change her mind.

"Alright. Lay down so we can get started."

X

There's a knock at the door, confusing you and your parents. No one was expected to come. You excuse yourself from the table to open the door.

"Kara? What are you doing here? I thought that you had an article to do."

Kara peaks over your head to find your parents staring at her. She had been right, your hallucination was showing you that your parents hadn't been killed.

"I uh..finished early."

You give her a bright smile and lean in to kiss her. Taking her hand, you lead her inside.

"Mom, dad, this is who I was telling you about. This is Kara Danvers, my girlfriend."

Kara politely greets them, thanking them for their compliments. She hated herself for what she was about to do. The longer that you stayed in the hallucination, the more your life force would drain.

"Could you excuse us for a second, I need to talk to her?"

Kara leads you out of the dining room so the two of you could have some privacy.

"What's going on, Kara? You're making me worry."

She takes a deep breath, already feeling guilty. This should've never happened. The black mercy should've been meant for her.

"Th...This isn't real, (y/n). This is a hallucination."

You start to laugh, not believing her.

"Don't be ridiculous Kara. How could this be a hallucination? You're here, my parents are here."

"Your parents died almost 10 years ago, (y/n). They died in a house fire. You were attacked by a black mercy that shows you everything that you've ever wished for until it sucks the life out of you. I need you to listen to me, only you can wake up from this."

You poke your head out to look at your parents, giving them a smile when they spot you. You didn't want to leave this life. Living without your parents in it was difficult. It had taken you so long to deal with their deaths.

"What if I don't want to wake up? I want to stay with my parents."

"(y/n), please. You'll die if you stay. I don't want to lose you. Please, please, wake up. I know that I'm being selfish and asking you to leave this behind but this isn't real."

You felt a knot in your throat form as you forced yourself to not cry. Your eyes had gotten red from the tears threatening to spill.

"Just let me say goodbye."

You whisper to her. You let go of her and make your way back to your parents.

"Mom, dad, I have to go."

"Oh sweetie, what's wrong? We can't let you go like this? Come sit down and talk to us."

Your mother and father stood up to hug you as they led you to the couch but you stopped them. They were only trying to keep you in the hallucination. You bite your lip hard, almost making it bleed as you focus on the pain to stop yourself from crying. You let the hug last a little longer and then pull away.

"I love the two of you so much."

X

You gasp loudly as you wake up. It hadn't been real. Kara had been right. You had desperately hoped that it wasn't a hallucination.

"(y/n), I'm so sorry."

Kara tells you as you sit up. You just sob into her arms.