Nothing

"The ringing's back."

As you said the words, the tears that you had tried to keep locked in your eyes poured down your face and you felt your brothers arms wrap around your body and you knew that he understood what was going on.

"It's going to be OK (y/n), it was fine last time it will fine this time."

"Wait, what's going on?" Reidy questioned from where he was sat with the binos pushed against his eyes.

"She has a thing........ I'll explain later." He replied.

"But what if it doesn't come back Chappo? What if this is the last time I hear your voice? what if yesturday was the last time I heard mum's? What if..." You rambled in panic but were cut off by your brother.

"Yea but what if it's not? It wasn't last time last time. And even if it is, it doesn't mean anything. Even if you never hear mine or mum's voice again, you know we still love you, it's not like WE disapear." He reassured yet every word got quieter and quieter and soon you knew that there would be nothing.

"Don't stop talking Chips." You directed and he didn't, he talked until there was nothing to be heard. Yet even though you couldn't hear him, you still found comfort in what he was saying.

"It's gone Chappo." You said and you pulled away from and leaning back in your chair- placing your hands on your face in stress and dispair.

"What's gone? Will someone please tell me what's going on!" Reidy exclaimed, turning his chair to face yours.

"I have a condition which basically means I can go deaf spontaneously and my hearing has just gone." You answered, which felt strange as it was the first time you had spoken in seven years without hearing your own voice.

"But how come you know what I am saying?" He enquired.

"Because I do sign language and lip reading." You explained as you shuffled closer to your brother. You did this when you couldn't hear. You got scared and shy and kind of clingy to either your mum or Chappo.

A/N: any sign language wil be in speech marks but in italics.

" Can we go home? " You signed, looking up at Chappo who was standing behind your chair.

"Yes, I'll go talk to Hoppo, do you want to wait in the car?" He replied and you shook your head in disagreement, not wanting to be left on your own.

"Come with me then." He directed and you waved goodbye to Reidy and followed Chappo across the road to Hoppo's office.

Once inside, you turned to look at some posters on the wall as a distraction and let your brother explain what had happened. After about five minutes, Chappo tapped your shoulder to get your attention and you walked out behind him without even turning to look at Hoppo.