Appointment

You were sat in the waiting room, bouncing your knee up and down out of nervousness.

"(y/n), it will be fine." Chappo assured you.

"I know, I just don't like it in here." You told him, just as you saw Dr Jane enter the room.

"(y/n) Chapman?" She called and you and your brother stood up and made your way over to her.

She led you both to her office, even though you knew the way.

"So, I know it's a bit out of the blue me calling you on but we have some news." She informed you after you had all taken a seat.

"What is the news?" You enquired.

"Well, if you want, we can start developing you a cochlear implant." She answered.

You weren't really sure how to feel about this. I mean, you were excited about the prospect that you might be able to hear again but you were also scared. You were scared that you'd get your hopes up for nothing or that it would be hard to function in a world that had been silent for so long.

Throughout all this thinking, you hadn't noticed the doctor trying to get your attention.

"(y/n), I know it's a big decision to make but that's why I've told you now so you'll have about two months to think about it before we need to start the process." She said, once you had finally looked up at her.

"OK, Thankyou." You replied and you and Chappo stood up and left after saying your goodbyes.

"Well this is big." Chappo stated.

"Yea, what should I do?" You questioned.

"I don't know, this is really up to you." He responded.

"I know." You replied quietly.

"You don't need to decide now, how about we go down to the beach for a surf, Reidy said it's really big today." He suggested, wanting to distract you.

"OK." You agreed and you both began the short walk from the surgery to Bondi.

Time skip two months:

Despite normally going out in the surf every day of the year, it still felt magical to ride a wave.

Although today it felt even better because, due to your wrist, you hadn't been able to for the last two months.

Your favorite thing was when the wave would curl over you and you were engulfed by the barrel until you exited through the other side.

Just as you and Chappo had paddled back out after catching a wave together, you noticed something in the distance.

It was a fin.

Your heart started pounding in your chest as the grey triangle of fear came nearer and nearer.

"Chappo, is that what I think it is?" You enquired shakily.

"I'm not sure, but I'm not too keen on finding out right at this point in time." He answered, faking laughter to cover up his own fear.

It was getting really close now;  far too close for your liking. What were you going to do? This beast of the ocean was heading right for you and your brother and showed no sign of diverting it's course. You couldn't run from it and you most definitely couldn't hide.